HELP, Water under my liner.

I maintain a pool for a friend. After many problems with Algae. I was told that my Cyanuric level was "through the roof" to quote the professional that advised me. He said that I would continue to get problems as the Chlorine was locked and therefore non-effective. He advised draining the pool and refilling with fresh water.
So I drained my pool using the drain facility.......................... that is where my new problem starts.
Quite a lot of the water has leached back into the pool and is sat under the liner, I guess there would be about 4 - 5 cubic yards of water. I considered just filling up and trying to get the wrinkles out of the liner as the level of water got higher. However my brain kept telling me that it would not work as the water below the liner would remain trapped.
Question, has anybody out there had this problem? and if so, how do you get the water out from under the liner???????????
I will be eternally in your debt for any advice.
Sorry, I don't yet know how to add a signature, so will add info manually.
NO WATER NOW = so no readings available.
Pool Type = Liner In Ground.
Pump = Standard Hayward 3/4hp
Filter = Cartridge Jacuzzi Sherlock 80 (Soon to be changed for a Hayward sand (200lb)

What type of pool is it?

Other than boring a well and pumping the water out. Filling the pool back up with water is the only way I can think of. Once filling begins the water on top of the liner should help force the water under the liner out. as long as the water level inside exceeds the water level outside.

I'm sure Waste or some of the others that have dealt with it will be along shortly with the proper method.

Bama's pretty much got it right. You need to exceed the weight of the water under the liner to get the liner to lay back down.

This may or may not be easy. I would start to fill the pool slowly and work out the wrinkles as you go. I doubt it will lay back down flat on it's own.

Depending on the porosity of the soil behing the liner, it may take a while for the liner to start to return to it's original position but it will need your help I'm pretty sure.

themandriapoolguy said:
Thanks guys,
I tried refilling, but gave up as it was a disaster, the liner had more wrinkles in it than me... LOL. I had thought about removing the bottom drain, and breaking the seal so the water would flow top side of the liner and come back into the pool?? I could then drain/pump it out, What do ya think??

No offense, but that's not a good idea :wink:

You have wrinkles (and might have to just live with them :cry: ) If you remove the bottom drain faceplate to relieve the water, the liner will most likely shift and then you have a whole new problem :(

How old is the liner? The reason I ask is because draining the pool and resetting it is about your only chance of getting rid of the wrinkles, but if the liner is more than a couple years old (or has been chemically abused)- you risk more than you could gain :cool:

Thank you for the PM, but I honestly believe that you'll be better off living with the wrinkles - and take steps to prevent this from happening again :)

If you really need to fix them, I'll be here to help :-D

Hi Ted,
thanks for the reply, I am at the stage now where I have no water in the main pool as the CYA levels were so high I drained it all on advice from a pool pro.
The water that should have gone to a soke away has come back in under the liner..... it looks a real mess. Do you still advise not removing the bottom drain?? I can send a picture if it helps. I just want my friend to have his pool back in the condition he left it in.
Thanks waste,
regards Bill G.

This is the main reason why you should NEVER, EVER drain a lined pool unless you're replacing the liner. In the future, you should do partial drain refills to aleviate high CYA issues.

All I can say is I'm sorry you are in this mess. You have learned a lesson the hardest way possible. :( I hope you can find a solution by maybe resetting it or something.

themandriapoolguy said:
I am at the stage now where I have no water in the main pool as the CYA levels were so high I drained it all on advice from a pool pro.
Any chance you could shame that "Pool Pro" into helping you fix the mess he contributed to??? Probably not, but I'd have to try anyway!

Do not remove the bottom drain. You risk the liner shifting and not being able to get the liner to fit - lining up the original holes.

The Pro should not have advised a "complete" drain with a liner pool - that's a big no-no. You will likely have to live with the wrinkles. If the liner is not that old and still has some plyability (is that a word?) some have reported success by trying to smooth out the wrinkles with various methods, don't know if that would work in your case. Good luck....

Here's an interesting thread, don't know if this would help at all:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/a-solution-for-big-wrinkles-t6907.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bill, can you get a hose to pump the water out from under the liner?

What you want to do is (preferably get the water out first) and then use 1 or 2 vacuums to draw any air out from under the liner, to keep the wrinkles out, as the pool fills. You'll probably have to work out the wrinkles by hand.

As I said before, an older liner or one that has been chemically abused, probably won't give up the wrinkles :( You will have better luck on a warm sunny day :wink:

There are lots of possibilities as to why the wrinkles were there in the first place and a fair chance that even vacuums might not let you totally remove them - the more you can tell us, the better the chances are of making them go 'bye- bye' forever :cool:

Slow filling and manually working out the wrinks as the pool fills is probably the best option :)

Hey all,
the pool is looking 100% (ish) I will cover the ish !! later.
I left the bottom drain in place and managed to feed a garden hose behind the liner where a piece of the beading was loose, fortunatly we live in an area with a steep incline so the garden hose did not need to be very long before the water syphoned out. As the water from behind the liner reduced, I filled the pool smoothing the wrinkles as I went ........... about 27 hours later I have a GLEEMING and I realy do mean GLEEMING "new water" pool. (It made the old water look tired and worn out.... a little like myself . LOL)
Any way all is good now.
I have the following readings
Chlorine at 2ppm
PH is high at 7.8 ... will add some more acid as the sun goes down tonight.
CYA is proberbly very low, I will buy a kit at the weekend and test this pool and the other pools I do.
Is there anything else that I should be checking???
NOW FOR THE ISH!!!!!
the pool is the type with plastic type steps, and I am pretty sure there is a leak from the area where the steps attach to the liner. Once the water temp is up, I will don my snorkel and mask armed with some food dye in a hypodermic (minus the needle) and have me a good look around.
Thanks to all who helped .......................... and even those who just said Oops ? Seriously though thanks WASTE, I did pretty much as you suggested except no vac was used. I have learnt a valuable lesson, and on this occasion I have got away with it. I think???
Best regards Bill G.

I'm really glad to hear it worked out for you. My dad always said that bought experience was the best as long as it didn't cost too much. Sounds like the cost was just a bunch of hours and worry. Glad the liner straightened out for you. I bet you'll have a few choice words for that "pool Pro" next time you see him. :twisted:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.