How to kill a motor

Sep 11, 2009
I'm new to pool ownership with purchase of a 7 year old house with IG pool in August 2009. History on the pool and previous owners is sketchy at best since house was what we call the Big "F" house. "F" for "Foreclosure". I purchased a Home Warranty plan that covers the heating, pumping and filtration equipment on my pool/spa. I've been told by numerous pool dudes that my motor has bad bearings and / or is impending death because it is so loud and screechy. (Oddly enough the screeching only started after a Warranty Pool dude came out and repaired a leak in the pump :!: ). Warranty won't cover repairs for "noise". So my question is what can speed the impending death of my motor, so I can stop annoying the neighbors with the noise? Or do I have other alternatives? Hiring someone to replace bearings, perhaps?
I am not handy - which is why I bought the Home Warranty and I am not good at taking things apart and getting them back together again. :?

Since you're not handy (kudos for telling us that up front :) ). And since I'm not going to tell you how to ruin your pump. I'd suggest calling your local pool company and have them rebuild the pump. They should put in new bearings and a new seal.

Telling you how to ruin it might be counter-productive as warranties generally exclude abuse, non-standard operation, etc. This would include running it dry, which is probably what already happened in the first place. Maybe tie it to a really big kite in a lightning storm...if lightning were covered...and it's probably not. So I would say live with the noise until it dies, probably less than 1 full season, and see what happens with your guarantee then. Try to do a Kevorkian on it and you could lose all hope of coverage, and you might hurt yourself or others. Electric motors are dangerous. If you really can't wait, then 'Bama gave you the alternative.

DaveInPhx said:
DBfan187 said:
if there's any scale or rust on there, it won't be covered under warranty.
So one must wonder then....what good is the warranty?
How can they exclude scale and rust on a metal object that sits outdoors through all types of weather?
Because scale and rust would fall under 'normal wear and tear', which is typically not covered by basic warranties.

Welcome to TFP!!

If you really want to kill it - post back here :twisted: I can tell you how to toast a seal assembly in short time, it may take a couple of days for the damage to be apparent and a few weeks for the motor to start failing - sorry it's not an immediate wreck, but I usually fix these problems, not cause them :lol:

DaveInPhx said:
DBfan187 said:
if there's any scale or rust on there, it won't be covered under warranty.
So one must wonder then....what good is the warranty?
How can they exclude scale and rust on a metal object that sits outdoors through all types of weather?
Way too many people were returning motors with squealing bearings from water getting into the motor from leaky shaft seals. The manufacturers put a stop to this by stating that any motors damaged by leaking shaft seals, sprinkler heads, flooding, and scale will not be covered under warranty.

I believe Juice is talking about a HOME warranty and not a manufactures warranty. They usually will cover almost anything but typically have a deductible. I would read the fine print though just to make sure. Everyone is slightly different.

You are right. I am referring to a Home Warranty purchased when we bought the house that covers appliances, Heat, AC etc and with additional coverage that I added for the pool/spa equipment.

I'm not covered when the malfunction is due to misuse, abuse or mistreatment. OR Lightning!!!!

I am covered for improper repair, installation or modifications.

And I am an honest person. Yet frustrated that I cannot enjoy my new pool or confidently meet my new neighbors.

What about these sound barriers? Did I see this info in another forum?

Looking forward to a TFP!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.