I know this has been asked before

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Hey,

I know this has been asked before. I live in NY. Cold, horrible, ugly winters :)

I have a spill over spa attached to the plumbing of my pool.

I was planning on closing mid october. But now Im thinking I dont want to close the spa.
Is it dangerous to not close the pool? What if I left it open. I run the pump 24/7 all summer. What if I just ran the pump 24/7 all winter? Is this a possibility? Is there any risk at blowing underground lines if I run the pump all the time?

Also what about the spa lines? I will probably use the spa 1 to 3 times a week if I leave the pool open. Which means for the most part it will not be running. Can those lines burst?

Does anyone that lives in cold freezing temps do this?

Thanks,

As a former northern New Jersey resident, I feel qualified to respond to this:

What are you thinking!? :p

Heh (pardon the jest), but you may have noticed that streams, large and small, ice over during a good portion of the winter. We had a creek behind our house that froze solid for at least two months. So, unless there's some type of anti-freeze that could be installed in your water (couldn't recommend this path) your water will freeze, pipes within a foot or so of the skimmer and returns may very well burst.... so you should winterize the pool.

If I'm contradicted of this notion by reputable sources here, I promise that I will do penance by finding a metal flag pole in Chicago and brazenly offer my bare tongue to its base. :-D

Besides the water freezing, I cannot imagine getting out of a spa and having to run dripping wet to the house! :shock:

Keep the spa open until it starts to get to freezing temps, if you can stand it, then shut'er down. That way you can enjoy the spa for a slightly longer season without running the risk of having to redo blown plumbing.

It will also be $$$ to keep the spa heated in weather that cold....

I’m a bit of a noob and live in a warmer climate (Seattle), but I’ve closed my pool and intend to leave the spa open most or all winter.

I don’t know what kind of equipment you have, but you should be able to close the pool without closing the spa, unless they share a cover. My controller has a freeze protection mode that will turn the pump on at a set air temp and I’ll probably set to thermostat to 35-40 when I’m not using it (have to confirm that the heater will run in freeze protection mode).

I may chicken out if the winter starts to look especially cold.

The Mermaid Queen said:
Besides the water freezing, I cannot imagine getting out of a spa and having to run dripping wet to the house! :shock:
Me neither, on the other hand the cast of crazies that are my immediate family never turn up the chance to hop in the outdoor spa when we go on a ski weekend. My wife won't book a reservation anywhere that doesn't have a spa, in fact, although she doesn't require it to be outside.

The real issue is, how separate is the plumbing for the pool and spa. Can you truly close the pool, complete with antifreezing the pipes, and still keep the spa going?
--paulr

The actual question of whether or not it is safe to keep open and running aside...

I think it is nicer to be in a spa or hot tub in the middle of winter than it is in the summer. In the summer I am trying to cool off by going in the pool.

I know MANY people with seperate hot tubs that use them all winter long. When it is freezing and when it is snowing. Getting out of a pool in the summer and walking into an air conditioned house, I freeze my butt off :)
But the hot tub raises your body temp and no matter what the weather is like, I normally feel pretty warm for a while when I get out.
:lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.