New Pump & Filter recommendations please

Sep 15, 2009
Hello all, I am a new pool owner for almost a week now. My wife and I purchased a foreclosure and with it came a nice green pool. We've turned it from green to a cloudy/milky blue but we are now having some issues with the pump & filter.

The filter (Pentair Clean & Clear 150sf) has apparently been cracked for awhile, with a nice JB Weld patch job, that obviously didn't hold up. We removed the old patch and patched it ourselves doing a thorough job, but it has once again begun to leak. Also, the pool pump will overheat and shut off if running for more than 30 minutes or so.

I am sure some things can be fixed but to be honest I am in a new house and would like to just buy a whole new system and know that I won't keep having problems with it. That being said, I am looking for recommendations on new cartridge filters and pool pumps. The pool is older with a deep end of about 8-9 ft, approximately 25,000 gallons. I have been told that I would need at least a 150sf filter and a 1-1.5hp pump.

Please let me know what you guys think. I am also on a bit of a budget so I'm looking for best bang for my buck.

Thanks!!

Allan

Do you have a pool and a spa, or just a pool?

25,000 gallon pool divided by 360 (minutes in 6 hours for turnover rate) requires a pump that delivers roughly 70 gpm. A 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo would easily handle that, and run cheaper. Pipe diameters will also dictate pump sizing, as small pipes restrict water movement. The pool has the plumbing that it has, so take a look at that.

I like the Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 SF cartridge filter. A larger filter will capture more dirt, so don't cheap out there!

Congrats on the new pool! Get it set up right and you will enjoy it for many years to come :cheers:

Bruce

abrown1213 said:
Could you explain why someone would want a 2-speed pool pump?

Save on electricity costs...most 2 speeds usually run on low, but it's nice to have the reserve power if you need a quick turn over or for vacuming.

alternately the 3/4 hp somone mentioned to you would work well if your equipment pad is not that far from your pool.

I have a relatively small pool and use a robot for vacuming so I chose a 0.5hp pump which does the job just as well, but would be just a tad undersized for your size pool.

Thanks for the replies. There is no spa in the pool. I should also mention that the Polaris runs off of the pool pump as well, not a seperate pump. The current pump has a 1HP motor and there is a lot of water pressure. I believe it has 2 inch piping as well.

A 1 HP uprated 2 speed Whisperflo (WFDS-24) is more than enough pump for that size pool and will minimize your electricity costs.

Also, with that size pool, I would go with at least a 225 sq-ft filter. Otherwise, you will be cleaning it every month. I have a 21k gallon pool and a 425 sq-ft filter and clean it only twice a year.

I will look more into the WhisperFlo models since everybody is recommending them. Does brand matter much on the filter or just size? Any problems with leaks/cracks on certain models?

Also, how often do you need to replace the cartridges and what are the costs for the larger filters?

A set of four for mine costs about $250. But realize that the life of a cartridge filter should be proportional to the size of the filter. So a smaller filter should require more frequent filter replacement than a larger filter. I'm on my fifth year with this set and I think I have at least 1 to 2 years left in them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.