Filter/Vacuum Question for Intex Pool

Jul 18, 2009
Clovis, CA
So, my first year of pool-ownership comes to an end on a green note. I fought algae and won at the beginning of the year and worked very hard to keep the water balanced, but the pool ended up looking a big green around the gills before we drained it for the year.

I want next year to be better, of course. The pool is a 6400-gallon, Intex, Metal-framed pool. I used the filter that came with the pool – Krystal Clear. When I tested the water in the last days of my pool, I found very little decrease in the FC levels and the pool had no odor. Also, shocking the pool had little to no affect on the clarity/color of the pool. There was sand/silt at the bottom of the pool after draining. Here are my questions:

1. Can anyone suggest a pump/filter that would work really well with my Intex pool?
2. Can anyone suggest a vacuum system that works well with my Intex pool?
3. And, finally, would it be better to invest in a good vacuum and brush/vacuum more often or would it be better to upgrade my pump?

On a last note, has anyone tried these Bio Diesel filter bags in their pool? http://www.filterbag.com/BioDiesel-Filtration-17.html

Thanks for your help.

Hi, Leslie,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not much help on Intex equipment so I'm bumping your post back up to see if you can get a quicker response from others who are.

Just a thought, tho. It seems you are equating your green pool with filtering.....not the case. Green is algae and filters, no matter how good, won't filter out algae.

The Intex pumps and filters are known to be pretty weak and an upgrade will make your life easier, I'm sure.

What will keep your pool from getting green is chlorine. It sounds like you almost had it beat. Late summer is when algae is the most difficult to deal with so just think of it as a temporary setback.

Post a set of test results next spring when you open up and everyone here will help you get crystal clear water all summer. :lol:

I agree with Dave that you need to keep a good check on your chlorine and keep it up.

I really just wanted to say that I've been looking for a filter to filter out the fine dust we get in our pool that the filter just won't catch. Thanks for the link. Looks like they have some 2 mic absolute. The 5's probably small enough but I think I'm going to try the 2 bypass piped to see if that'll clean it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.