My arms itch!

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
I thought I saw something here about what to do about fiberglass itching....

I swear, all I have to do is LOOK at a filter and that night my arms itch. Tried searching, didn't find it.

I'm curious. From what/where did you get the fiberglass itch? I'm such a "delicate flower" when it comes to skin irritations that if you look at me wrong I'll itch. :p

I have a DE filter (the only kind I've ever had or helped friends with) and just did a cleaning and replacement of some grids in my filter and didn't get any itching. Never have in 23 years cleaning my own DE filter.

Back when I was a youngster I spent a week wrapping insulation around ductwork, in an attic, during a record heat summer in Dallas. I was miserable, mostly from itch, but was the only female on the job so had to appear tougher than I was. BTW... we started our "day" in the wee hours and stopped work before noon when it was only 95 in the shade outside. I remember going home and virtually soaking in apple cider vinegar. Can't remember if it worked though.
geekgranny=alice

In our case, the cartridge filter is in a very large fiberglass canister, bigger than a trash can. Probably about 32" in diameter, I'll guess, and about as tall as me though is is off the ground a foot perhaps.

Once the securing band around the middle is loosened, someone has to wrap their arms around the top half and pull it off over the tops of the 4 cartridges inside and carry it away to set it down in the grass. It's not terribly heavy but it is not lightweight either and getting it unstuck usually takes some effort.

Then, after cleaning, it all has to be put back. The second person keeps the O-ring from leaping out of place as the first person gingerly sets the top back into place, while avoiding lines and all these wires that were placed so badly. Somehow we both end up itchy, in spite of having long sleeves on.

But, next time we will try the hairspray beforehand.

geekgranny said:
Thanks for clearing that up AND Yikes :shock: Hairspray sounds like good idea :!:

Could some kind of spray on finish on the outside be applied to MONSTER?

Actually, that was how the old thread began... but although there were several suggestions, none seemed to be the for-sure answer so I thought the hairspray was good enough.

I was thinking about coating mine with Minwax Polyurethane coating (the type you put on floors). It's a clear coat.
It's oil based.
I know they use polyurethane coatings over fibreglass, but not sure if this is OK.
Anyone want to weigh in on this one?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have it , warned the wife last week , dont rub aganst it , she was cussing later , just coat it with the fiberglass gel kit from home depot or auto parts store , roll it on dont use the glass material. I have just been lazy not a priority

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.