Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile Above Ground Pool Deck

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vernon, BC Canada - Pool is in Maricopa AZ (currently a holiday place)

Tile Above Ground Pool Deck

We are installing an above ground pool, but will be digging it in with retaining walls (so the dirt won't be against the sides, and there will need to be about 2 feet of decking built around the whole pool. Just wondering if we could build a wood deck frame, and then install panels with tiles 2 feet wide and say 8 feet long that would be removable in the event we needed to access the pool? Any suggestions on building decking with removable panels? I've seen the wood tiles, but want something that looks more "built in".

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tile Above Ground Pool Deck

If your talking about ceramic tile they won't hold up. The flexing and expansion of the wood will cause the tile to break and lift. You may want to consider shorter access panels 2'x2'.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

That makes sense - we could do that. Just thinking about the logistics - I guess we would build a 2 x 2 plywood base and grout the tile on then place it on the deck frame. The challenge is that the wood would get wet and there would be gaps.
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think it would be impossible to have it get damaged because of the nature of what you want to use it on. Tile on INground structures can even get damage with movement of the ground, but chances are less than anything above the ground by far. It would be interesting to see though - I'd like to see an example somewhere?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

I actually love the look of a wood deck, but we're on an acreage in an area where every few years there are forest fires, so the idea of something a little more resistant to sparks is appealing (I've sold my husband on the idea that a pool will allow us to leave sprinklers on our house in the event of fire!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by techgirl
    Any suggestions on building decking with removable panels? I've seen the wood tiles, but want something that looks more "built in".
    You might want to check out AridDek (see also Wahoo Decks) for an alternative to wood/concrete/tile deck composition. It appears that this solution could be constructed so that some or all sections are removable. Don't know about pricing, however.

Other ideas? Fire retardent MDF panels.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009