Sand Filter Question

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Specifically it has to do with this statement in the backwashing instructions in the pool school section
" First make sure that any valve on the discharge line is open and any discharge hose is rolled out to where you want the dirty water to go"

I'm not seeing any valve around the filter area. There's one line that runs to the pump, one that runs to the heater and one more that runs in to the ground. I'm guessing this may be where the discharge water flows but it's no guarantee as I just bought the house. Is it possible there is no valve or discharge hose and it just goes to the ground through the piping?

It's probably just preference and if the waste line is connected to a sewer line you'd want to be able to close off that line before removing the multiport for servicing. Also if it's connected to a common drain that may back pressure it, you'd want to be able to close it off. Just a couple of thoughts. Mine runs down the hill so it doesn't have a block valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.