Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Question

Specifically it has to do with this statement in the backwashing instructions in the pool school section
    " First make sure that any valve on the discharge line is open and any discharge hose is rolled out to where you want the dirty water to go"

I'm not seeing any valve around the filter area. There's one line that runs to the pump, one that runs to the heater and one more that runs in to the ground. I'm guessing this may be where the discharge water flows but it's no guarantee as I just bought the house. Is it possible there is no valve or discharge hose and it just goes to the ground through the piping?
    1) 15000 Gallons Gunite
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Pentair Intelliflo VS
    5) SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Question

Welcome to TFP!!

The line you're talking about is almost certainly the backwash pipe Just be sure the valve (if there is one) is open before you backwash the filter
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome. Thanks Waste. I don't see a valve on that line so it looks like it's just moving the multi-port valve to backwash. Any reason that some may have a valve on the discharge line while others don't?
    1) 15000 Gallons Gunite
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Pentair Intelliflo VS
    5) SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

It's probably just preference and if the waste line is connected to a sewer line you'd want to be able to close off that line before removing the multiport for servicing. Also if it's connected to a common drain that may back pressure it, you'd want to be able to close it off. Just a couple of thoughts. Mine runs down the hill so it doesn't have a block valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Bama. I can't specifically say where it goes as I don't have the original piping layout. All I know is it runs straight down to the ground and from there? Who knows where.
    1) 15000 Gallons Gunite
    2) Sand
    3) In Ground
    4) Pentair Intelliflo VS
    5) SWG