soapy feeling/suds

pool60

Jun 23, 2007
Alabama
After I'm in my pool for awhile, my skin feels slightly soapy. I also noticed that if someone dives in, the bubbles last quite a while. What would cause this? Here are my test numbers:

FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 140
Calcium 260
CYA 120

Thanks

No, borax wouldn't create what most people would call a soapy feeling. It does change the feel of the water somewhat, but not in a way I would call soapy. A soapy feeling to the water is usually caused either by actual soap or some algecides. Almost everything that can create a soapy feeling is broken down by chlorine over a couple of days. I don't know of anything that will cause the water to remain soapy in the presence of proper chlorine levels.

Maybe soapy isn't the right word. Maybe slippery is a better word. If you splash, the bubbles stay longer than normal too. Maybe that's why I used the word soapy. The water is actually crystal clear. I've only been feeling/seeing this since I put the borax in the pool. Hmmmmm. I wonder if it's reacting with some other chemical... It's not a big problem. I was just wondering.

If you hadn't posted numbers, I'd have bet you had low chlorine. I'd still be inclined to shock the pool when you have the chance, now that you've eliminated most of the obvious possible causes.

pool60 said:
If you splash, the bubbles stay longer than normal too.

I notice this in my pool when I drop my PH and TA. I believe it's from increased outgassing of CO2, just like you see when you pour clear soda in a glass :)

Any idea what your current PH and TA #s are?

BTW. I got in a big argument with a guy at work today. I told him about BBB last week, and today he told me that he asked the pool store about it and they said it will "destroy your pool." He believes them of course. And this is the same guy who a month ago told me he was fed up with getting his water tested and having the pool store tell him he needed to buy $50 worth of chemicals.

He said using bleach will destroy the liner. Funny thing is, my liner is bleached badly, but not from bottled bleach. It's from the POWDER! I've been using that for three years and THAT'S what bleached the bottom of my pool. Doesn't liquid bleach fade the liner around the water line? I haven't seen any fading there at all. But I've only been doing BBB for about a month.

He also said borax WAS laundry soap. I told him it was a "booster" not soap, but to no avail. I am a little skeptical now though since I have that soapy/slippery feeling in my pool and bubbles. But worst case is I start buying PH adder at walmart. I'm definitely going to keep using bleach though.

Any form of chlorine can fade the liner if full strength chlorine gets in direct contact with the liner. When added properly, so that dilution occurs before getting to the liner, all forms of chlorine are the same and none of them will fade the liner significnatly. Over ten or twenty years the usual chlroine levels will eventually affect the liner, but even liners that are never touched by chlorine will fade somewhat over ten or twenty years.

pool60 said:
BTW. I got in a big argument with a guy at work today. I told him about BBB last week, and today he told me that he asked the pool store about it and they said it will "destroy your pool." He believes them of course. And this is the same guy who a month ago told me he was fed up with getting his water tested and having the pool store tell him he needed to buy $50 worth of chemicals.

He said using bleach will destroy the liner. Funny thing is, my liner is bleached badly, but not from bottled bleach. It's from the POWDER! I've been using that for three years and THAT'S what bleached the bottom of my pool. Doesn't liquid bleach fade the liner around the water line? I haven't seen any fading there at all. But I've only been doing BBB for about a month.

He also said borax WAS laundry soap. I told him it was a "booster" not soap, but to no avail. I am a little skeptical now though since I have that soapy/slippery feeling in my pool and bubbles. But worst case is I start buying PH adder at walmart. I'm definitely going to keep using bleach though.

What they were really saying was "It will destroy our business". :p

Some people can't be swayed. Next time just say you use "6% Liquid Chlorine and Hydrated Sodium Borate" instead of bleach & borax. :lol: After he sees your pool, swims in it, and his is still green...maybe he will come around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pool60 said:
This is the standard pool store line....Liquid chlorine IS bleach! same chemical--sodium hypochlorite!

Borax is sodium tetraborate. This is what Proteam Supreme, Bioguard Optimizer, Poolife Endure, and Omni Maximizer is! Borax is also an additive in many triclor tabs and cal hypo shocks! It is NOT laundry soap! It is also in Natural Chemisty's Salt Water Magic and Bioguard Minieral Springs for salt pools. Your friend is wrong--plain and simple!

I suspect that the problem with your pool is the CYA level of 120 ppm. How was that testing since it's impossible to accurately test CYA levels above 100 ppm. Your FC of 9 is probably too low for the level of CYA in your pool. I would suggest partial draining and refilling to get the CYA down. The slippery feeling and bubbles is from nascent algae blooms.

pH increaser is sodium carbonate. It will cause your TA to rise very high and should only be used if you have BOTH low TA and low pH or you will have problems with your TA becoming too high.

Cal-Hypo dissolves slowly so if added to a pool without pre-dilution, it will settle to the bottom and that's not good for a vinyl pool. Bleach and chlorinating liquid in concentrated form are denser than water so if added quickly they will sink to the bottom (if circulation is poor) so can also harm the liner. As was stated, proper application is important and pre-dilution, slow addition, and good circulation or mixing minimize the risks. Of course, you can use the very expensive lithium hypochlorite that dissolves very quickly if you really want to just add something quickly through dispersion around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.