Pool cover let me down over the winter....now green water!

Alscrx

May 12, 2013
CT
So my first year opening the pool and finding my water green, I used a new pool cover and I guess it wasn't quality and the cover had stretched letting stuff and water through over time. I didn't find any holes but it did look like see through material.
Anyhow , after seeing the dissapointment, I hooked up everything ran and tested.

CYA is at 40, it was around 10. I added the calculated amount to lift it to 30 but looks like it went to 40 instead. First time using liquid stabilizer and overshooting. Never went over with powder/sock method :mad:

FC shock level is 16 since last night,I am checking hourly. This morning was only a 3ppm drop. It's been still high although the sun is out and few hours passed.
So is it normal for the Fc to not drop quickly although water is green and cloudy? I was assuming it's a good thing for it to drop but I don't see it yet.

I have the filter running on HIGH 24/7 and using socks in the skimmer. Been changing them every few hours with a clean one.

I vacuumed the bottom as soon as I opened it with a battery vac and it's gradually looking cleaner with each pass. There is no debris on bottom left. I did brush the walls and bottom which looked like algae on there.

So am I missing anything I should be doing? It's only been about 14 hours running but just want to make sure I'm heading in the direction of clear water and not wasting time since I can't see any improvements yet.

IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6812.jpg

Nope. Not missing anything, just takes time. Opening this late in the year gave those organics time to party. :party: Just stick with the SLAM as you have been doing and it will work. Also, no need to run the pump on high all the time. Low is fine unless you need it higher for vacuuming. As long as there is constant circulation you'll be fine.

Thanks for your reply, we had a cold spring in the northeast so it was kinda of out of mind. 2 days ago nights were in the 40's lol. I just switched pump to low and I'll let her run.
Pressure on the pump is the same so I'm assuming it's not dirty yet enough for cleaning.
It's hard to see if Algae is on the walls since the water is cloudy. Hopefully it will clear some so I can target the spots I missed.

We opened around May 15 and we were green too. Nights were in the 40’s, days in the 60’s and water temp was 55. Followed the closing protocol. We also have a mesh cover.

I believe the bizarre weather we get in Feb/March just messes up the rules. How can I be sure that I open when the the water temp is below 60 when it was in the 80’s for a few days in Feb, followed by a blizzard, followed by a few days in the 80’s in March, followed by more snow. I feel confident that those top layers of water get up above 60 in Feb/March, resulting in algae.

I just do my best and don’t sweat it if I open green; just slam.

You are doing everything just right. Just keep maintaing the SLAM, filter good, and backwash or rinse when 20 to 25% over clean startup operating pressure. You are at aqua green you will be a cloudy blue in no time

Thanks for your encouragement!! I need it lol

Here is today's update, I have noticed lots of DE on the bottom of the pool. Iv been vacuuming it up. I did run the filter for a little bit on startup BEFORE adding DE so not sure if that's the outcome of doing it later:confused:

Other than that I don't see much of anything else on the floor. And the bright blue spot has been where the ladder sits every year so everything else is naturally faded lol. It's crazy how liners can fade.

IMG_6819.jpg

IMG_6820.jpg

So as the water clears up I can see better, few spots on the walls I missed and green still there. I spent some time just brushing the walls again, the floor , and another vacuum job. Doing so makes the water cloudy but I know it needs to be done.
Iv been topping off the FC levels but still no big reduction. Even at 95 degrees sunny an hot, few hours later only 1-2ppm down. I'm gonna close the valves and clean filter screens tomorro. Add some fresh DE with filter on low this time so it doesn't come back out into pool. I'll post updated pics

So yesterday I cleaned the filter screens and they were covered in Green Algae. The pressure wasn't any higher but I knew it had to be done. Today water is clear and I'm seeing great results....kept FC at 16 since opening and I'm getting a .5 CC reading.
No visual of green anymore on walls or floor, brushing paid off. PH also seems ok at 7.2

IMG_6840.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.