aa1113's conversion

aa1113

Sep 6, 2009
I could not figure out how to post my own question so I am going to add it here.
I finally decided to change from Bacquacil to Chlorine. I started 9 days ago and the pool is failry clear but not quite there yet. My overnight FC is 0, TC is 4 and PH is 8. Yesterday we took the ladder out and cleaned it . I t had brownish slime. Is it time to change the filter? When do I know I am done and we can swim again?

This website has been a great help with the conversion.

aa1113,

I moved your post into it's own thread.

You will be finished with the conversion and can swim when.....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Per our discussion, wait until you get your new kit before you do an overnite FC loss test. The instructions for doing that test are found up in Pool School but you cannot do that test with the kit you have..

For now, just keep adding the Chlorine as you have been. It sounds like you are very close and almost ready to swim.

Post back any questions you have. :lol:

Just a quick word of encouragement....we couldn't be more pleased with the conversion, although there was a day or two I had my doubts, pic's posted by others gave me hope and now....water has never been so clear. The folks on this site are the best! Hang in there and I truly believe you'll be happy too !
Debbie

Well not good news. I decided to try out the test kit.

FC= 1
CC= turned yellow instead of pick. I used the same sample from the FC test. Is that correct or do I need new sample?

I just put in almost a full gallon of liquid chlorine. It's very hot today, around 98 degrees. I will test again later after the sun goes down.

Water is VERY clear.

Hey, Ana,

If I understand you correctly, you are doing the test correctly. Do this for now.

Test the pH and the chlorine with the test that's in the blue plastic box. (Taylor K-1000)

Then test for CYA, CH, and TA and post all those number up here like this:

TC = (Just read the yellow shading as best you can)

pH = (same thing...it'll be a little hard to read at first but jus get it as close as you can)

TA =

CYA =

CH =

Post those five numbers up using that format and you'll get lot's of help deciding what to do next

aa1113 said:
TC = CL darker than 5

pH = 7.8-8

TA = 300

CYA = less than 20

CH = 270

Thank you!

Okay....progress. :lol: :lol:

Your water is clear and you have chlorine in your pool so you're in pretty good shape.

1. You'll need to put some CYA in your pool if you plan on swimming much longer this season. Also called stabilizer or Cyanuric Acid, it available at Lowe's/HD/WalMart or the pool store. Put in enough to bring your test up to 40ppm.

2. Bring your pH down to around 7.4 with muriatic acid. Use Jason's calculator to figure how much acid to add.

3. When 1 & 2 are done, wait a couple of days and post another set of tests. Wipe the dropper tip every few drops when you do the TA test...I think you'll get a lower result.

4. Keep swimming and enjoy the pool. Keep the TC up around 3-5ppm (you'll probably have to add a jug of clorox every other night for just a little while)

5. We'll make some fine tuning adjustments after you post test results the second time.

6. Please ask any questions you have....lot's of great people here to help you out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't replace the filter just yet. Put the CYA in an old sock and suspend it in front of a return or put it in the skimmer. That'll keep it from being collected by your filter.

Look up in Pool School on how to do the Overnight FC Loss test. I think you'll be ready for that tomorrow night if you get your pH down a little.

Don't worry about testing for the CYA.....it won't show up in the test for a few more days.

If your chlorine was all used up overnight, it's because you still have some residual baquagoo in the pool.

YOu will need to continually add more chlorine until it remains in your pool overniight without losing more than 1ppm.

1/2 gallon raised your FC by about 8ppm or so so you lost all of that killing off the baquagoo.

I would buy about 10 more jugs of the 10% (you won't waste any of it) and start putting in a full jus each evening and then testing and adding enough to get you back up to 15ppm each morning.

It sounds like you have a few more days of high chlorine before you get it all the way cleaned up.

Bought 12 more gallons of 10% chlorine, cleaned the pool and filter, also vaccumed it for a couple of hours. Found about 4 brownish like spots on the vinyl and brushed them off. Also cleaned the skimmer.

Last night I added 1.5 gallons of chlorine and FC went to 7. This morning back to 1. Added another gallon.

It has been over 100 degrees here so I am sure the sun is not helping. The next few days is going to be even hotter.

Water is still very clear and really want to swim.

Will check FC again in about 30 minutes after I add another gallon of chlorine. The water has a chlorine smell and there is a bit of a dark ring at one corner.

Thanks for all your help.

Did not put in the CYA yet. Should I do that?

After 30 minutes:

FC= 17- I know it's too high. Let'see what tomorrow brings. :hammer:

PH=7.8- added 9 ounces muriatic acid.

Getting a little frustrated here.

Do not retest your pH. pH test will indicate a false high in the presence of high chlorine levels.

Why do you think FC of 17 is too high? (it is just a little bit high....not enough to worry about) What time of day did you put it in and how long after that did you test it?

Have you read the article on baqua conversions in Pool School?

YOu are giving little snippets of information but not enough for us to develop a clear picture of what you are doing to the pool.

You should be bringing the FC up to 15ppm as soon as the sun is off the pool and then testing again just before you go to bed and adding enough chlorine to bring it up to 15ppm again. Then, you should be teswting the next AM to see how much chlorine you are losing nightly and bringing it back to 15ppm that morning.

I earlier indicated to add the CYA but I shouldn't have. Your FC loss is (apparently) still too great at night and the CYA will just slow down the conversion.

Keep your patience. Hundreds of others have done what you are doing and many of them have become impatient at this stage as well. This is a process that takes an indeterminate amount of time. The more baqua residual that was in your pool, the longer it will take to clear it out.

You will make the process as fast as possible by becoming very methodical in your testing and FC additions. Once your overnight FC loss is down to around 1ppm, you will be ready to change the filter and add CYA. Until then, keep the FC replenished to 15ppm three times daily and you will el;iminate the baqua.

OK I won't worry about the PH for now. Last night I added the chlorine around 6: 30 and tested around 7:15. FC was 17.

FC this morning at 7:15 was 5 from last night. Added another half a gallon of 10% to 15 again. I will check again when the sun goes down.

Very, very hot today and this week. Expecting 110 degrees. Wish we could swim.

Just to clarify. The scoop that I add to the FC chlorine test is the little scoop, not the flat spatula side, right?

Please let me know what other info will be helpful to you to help me.

Have you read the article on baqua conversions in Pool School?

Yes, the little scoop end of the spoon is correct....not the flat spatula end.

I suggest you go a couple more days just adding chlorine. If you keep having the large overnight FC losses, then it may be time to go ahead and change the filter out. Wait a couple of more days and post how much FC you lose each night and we'll have a good idea.

I forgot to look back....what type filter do you have?

I have read the conversion article many times. I just read it again. With the test kit I think I should make progress.

Cartridge filter.

Good, I have been using the scoop.

Will post results Tuesday morning.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.