Starting Fresh - What to do first - Advice Please

Sep 13, 2009
Pool is just about to be completely full after a total drain yesterday. I need your advice on turning this tap water into swimming water keeping in mind that I plan to use the bbb method going forward. I've put my numbers into the calculator, but I'm just not sure what to do first.. pH, CYA, TA, Bleach?

Size: 17000 galons
Test Kit: Leslies FAS-DPD

FC: 0.5 ppm
TC: 0.5 ppm
pH: 7.8
TA: 50 ppm
CH: 30 ppm
CYA: < 30 (probably 0?)

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

It is so easy when someone posts current test results....Thanks.

1. Go to Lowe's/HD or Pool Store and buy enough CYA to bring your pool to 40ppm (If you didn't add any, you dont have any) Put it in as soon as you can.

2. Put a small bottle of clorox into your pool this evening as soon as the sun is off the pool

3. Tuesday evening, test your FC (probably close to 0), and put in enough clorox to bring your FC up to around 5ppm.

4. Do the same thing Wednesday evening as you did Tuesday.

5. On Thursday, run a complete set of tests again and post the results. We'll help you get fine tuned from there.

If you have a hardware store near you - you will also need some Muratic Acid.

From Wal-mart or the grocery store, get some Baking Soda.

After you follow the steps as Dave advised, we'll help you adjust your PH and TA. :wink:

Thanks very much for your replies. I have all the supplies, just wasn't sure what order to proceed in. So I'll get the CYA going, keep the bleach in as best as possible in the meantime. Once enough time has passed for an accurate CYA reading and if the level is good, I'll move on to pH and TA. Is that correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.