Solar Panel Performance

kjcole

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
Solon, Iowa
With the crazy weather this July and August here in Iowa I didn't get to see how the panels could perform under good conditions. Well, I've finally gotten a chance to see how the panels perform over the last few weeks. Evening air temps in the low 50's, and daytime highs in the 70's, the cloudless days have really allowed the panels do their thing. Pool only gets sunlight from around noon till 4:30 this time of the year. With all that, I'm holding 80 degrees in the pool (achieved around 1 pm each day) even though at this time of the year the angle of the sun means I get sun on the panels from about 9 until 5, and not very direct rays at that. I have 4 4X12 TechnoSolis panels aimed south for my 15X33 AGP, with a Goldline controller. The solar cover at night is essential.

Very pleased with the panels. One more would be nice, but not essential.

Kelly

I have had good luck so far here in NW indiana...SE of Chicago...My pool is holding at 83 degrees, temps have been in the upper 70s and low 80s...However...we have had 7-8 days of high pressure which have meant completely sunny skies since labor day...I swam Monday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday this past week...Temps have been 80 to 83 degrees. I have Fafco solar bear 4X20 panel...In conjunction with my solar cover which I now truly believe in using all summer long...Yes Mom...I finally caught on :hammer: But what I have learned to do is that If I roll my cover up ( I have it cut into 4 sections) into long rolls, I can leave them on the top rail of the pool so it is easier to put them back in place when we are done...Before this I had been pulling them out of the pool altogether. Next year I will do this religiously...It is so easy the kids can do it. This was my problem with the solar heat...I had always left the cover off before because last summer it was always hot, and I was able keep pool 78-80. However this year air tem was cooler...mostly 70s and low 80s. Now here it is 9/15/09 and I am going home to swim tonight...because it will be plenty warm today temps in the mid 80s. Yes, Solar panels and solar covers do work well when used together.

beave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.