What quantity to buy to start BBB method?

I ordered the TF100 test kit and waiting on its arrival. How much of each BBB quantity should I have on hand to get started?

I have read through Pool School and have The Pool Calculator pulled up. Should I just go with the default troublefreepool.com targets to get started? I have been fighting algae all summer but its not too bad - just some green around the edges and a little on the walls. I will be converting from 3" tabs to BBB.

Can I test the water and add the chemicals with the solar cover on? Also, I run my filter 24/7 right now and was going to buy a timer to run it 6on/6off/6on/6off every day. Would this be ok?

Thank you for your help. Its a little overwhelming getting started but from what I have read, its definitely worth it!

What kind of pump is it? If it has a low speed, I would leave it on low 24/7.

You want the recommended levels for your type of pool - there is an article in Pool School. You need to enter the values in the appropriate boxes.

Yes, you can leave the solar cover on when testing/adding chemicals. You can push it back a few feet from the return with your pole/brush combo so it's not in your way.

Until we see test results, can't really advise which products you'll need, it depends really on how your PH/TA are. For sure you'll need bleach.

I cannot help with the cover question or the timer, but you can probably at least enter the values you have for the pool now and play around with the Pool Calculator to see what sort of things MIGHT be needed. But for some bleach, I woudn't buy anything yet since both pool stores and test strips are known to be way off. Not unusual to see off by a factor of 2 in some areas like CYA.

Probably best to get 3 or 6 jugs of Clorox or good store brand bleach (walmart or grocery, not dollar stores). I add 1 large jug of Clorox to my 23000 gallon pool every other day but you will need more to knock out the algae you have right now.

So, do you have test strip info now? or can you get a fresh sample to a pool store for a free test? If you go to a store, do not buy anything, but do ask if they carry "Liquid Shock" or liquid chlorine, get the strength of that and the price. Also Muriatic acid, with strength and price as well. Then price bleach from the grocery store, Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's, maybe major hardware stores if they move enough pool products to have fresh stock in your area (they don't in my area). You might need a dozen big jugs in short order, we just don't know yet.

Since you don't know CYA but have been using pucks, there is a very good chance that your CYA is really high. You won't know how much chlorine to use until you know that, and if it is really high you may have to drain and refill the pool somewhat. How long has this pool been set up, any major water changes recently? Often the pool store can only test to CYA 100 so if they say that they may mean anything above that. You might have to drain enough water to get that down to something like 30 or 50 or 70. If you look at the CYA/Chlorine chart you will see why that is so important.

For now if you will go to the Pool Calculator and just enter your pool info, size, plaster or vinyl, ect. and whatever info you think you have for now on Calcium hardness, Total Alkalinity, pH. Then enter 0 for Free chlorine to get an idea of how much 6% bleach you might need to use at first to get to the upper end of the normal range for the pool chlorine. Then enter the "shock" level from the CYA chart to see how many jugs that is. That could be a number you add more than once a day at the start. So, replacing water may be the better plan if CYA is high.

More info will be along on your other questions, that is all I can help.

OP here...The pool is 3 years old - we bought the house 2 years ago and have been fighting it ever since! No major water changes - we drain down to skimmer level in the winter and then fill up with well water in the spring and top off as needed throughout the season.

The pump is a single speed, 1 HP, PowerLine (GE) motor.

I used the test strips I had and my readings were 0 FC, 120 ppm Alkalinity (TA, right?), 7.6 pH.

From what I can understand, I need to know CYA to be able to determine shock level right? I have the recommended levels from Pool School for vinyl in the pool calculator.

So for now, should I just get 6 jugs of bleach from the store or should I stock up on more?

Without knowing your CYA, can't really say if 6 is enough. It's a start tho -

Your TA and PH are probably fine even though it's just strips so don't worry about Borax or baking soda yet.

Your 1 HP pump - your proposal for run time should work, make sure 6 of those hours are midday. :wink: Also you do want the pump circulating for at least an hour after adding chems so keep that in mind when dosing.

When shocking the pool/clearing an algae bloom, the pump should run 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.