Let the wild rumpus start! (new Houston build underway)

riley00dog, kimkats, and SuzfromTexas, thanks so much for weighing in on the design piece. My PB just emailed me pics of the travertine colors. There's one called Classic Light (tumbled), which will probably work. He also sent info for a place that carries denser stone coping. I'll stop by tomorrow and ask about the honed/filled travertine coping option while I'm there.

So I'm starting to think that maybe I should forget about the heater/heat pump/heat pump-chiller/heat pump-heater hybrid/heat pump and separate chiller conundrum and just invest in a good wetsuit. If I go with the blue camo pattern, maybe my kids won't be able to find me and I can swim in peace.

answer.jpg
The answer to year-round swimming?

riley00dog, kimkats, and SuzfromTexas, thanks so much for weighing in on the design piece. My PB just emailed me pics of the travertine colors. There's one called Classic Light (tumbled), which will probably work. He also sent info for a place that carries denser stone coping. I'll stop by tomorrow and ask about the honed/filled travertine coping option while I'm there.

We have a classic light travertine (tumbled unfilled). We love the colour. I think your waterline tile photo would go great with the. We have a swg and no issues so far but it’s very early days. We did have them professionally sealed (pb requirement) but not to protect from salt as much as to protect the grout from staining.

The design and tiles look nice.

Shame on the PB for not being on-site during gunite.

A raised beam is a good idea for drainage issues anyway and can also look quite nice.

As for a spa blower - I would really advocate one. You can go low hp 1hp and they are not real loud anyway but they really make for a jacuzzi type spa and its on on/ off thing so you just use it when you want. Kids love them too with cool water.

Happy 4th of July, American TFPers!

The pool construction has done a number on our grading, so apparently I'm spending the holiday carving drainage canals through mud and cement. (4" of rain this morning and counting) That and hanging out of the windows, trying to clear the gutters with a broomstick. My husband isn't home to tell me how reckless I'm being. Though I do think he'll be impressed by my canals.

poltergeist.jpg
Okay, so this is from Poltergeist. But it could very well be our yard.

Spoke with another Pentair rep about their new hybrid heat pump/gas heater. Apparently it's only been on the market about a month. Thus the difficulty finding one or anyone who has one. He wouldn't tell me how much it costs, just kept reiterating that it has dual titanium heat exchangers. I'm guessing that's a bad sign cost-wise, though we could probably use it to boil lobsters in the spa.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Blake. Any thoughts on ones to look at?

The design and tiles look nice.

Shame on the PB for not being on-site during gunite.

A raised beam is a good idea for drainage issues anyway and can also look quite nice.

As for a spa blower - I would really advocate one. You can go low hp 1hp and they are not real loud anyway but they really make for a jacuzzi type spa and its on on/ off thing so you just use it when you want. Kids love them too with cool water.

Laughing so hard as I hear the rain beating down on my pool - shades of Hurricane Harvey!!! Ugh!!! Great post - I needed some humor this soggy 4th of July.

Btw... If you want to book mark it for future Houston rains, I just posted a list of precautions/preparations for a pool (one already completed. Sorry this won't help you now!)

Here's the link:

Pool Renovation

Good luck cleaning yourself up after trench digging. Now is a great time to consider an outdoor shower, right?! Lol!!! (I really do love my simple one)

Take care today and Happy Independence Day!
Suz

Thank you, SuzfromTexas! Bookmarked it.

At the moment, I'm using the deluge off the roof as a makeshift shower. A less destructive, more user-friendly option will be going in down the line.

Had one win today. All the leaves that have fallen into the pool have floated into a clump - right in front of one of the skimmers.

Off to curl up with a warm blanket and a cat...

Laughing so hard as I hear the rain beating down on my pool - shades of Hurricane Harvey!!! Ugh!!! Great post - I needed some humor this soggy 4th of July.

Btw... If you want to book mark it for future Houston rains, I just posted a list of precautions/preparations for a pool (one already completed. Sorry this won't help you now!)

Here's the link:

Pool Renovation

Good luck cleaning yourself up after trench digging. Now is a great time to consider an outdoor shower, right?! Lol!!! (I really do love my simple one)

Take care today and Happy Independence Day!
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tile design help needed!

Back from summer travels and ready to get this mosquito breeding ground completed.

Next step: tile and coping. As my husband likes to remind me, if it isn't backordered, discontinued, or made in an obscure village on the other side of the globe, I won't like it. True to form, it's taking me some tile to find tile. But I found some contenders and would appreciate feedback.

Our contract includes travertine coping and pavers. The lightest one they carry is the classic light travertine (in picture below). I would ideally like something with less of a yellow hue because it will be right next to our gray house. I've raised the possibility of repainting the house, but my better half was underwhelmed by the suggestion. We don't need that much (~400 sf), so it may be worth paying a little extra for something like freska or shellstone to get less yellow?

The contract also includes 6" waterline tile. I've seen some decent 6" tile, but I haven't found any that I would want to use on multiple rows. (The beam along the fence is raised an additional 6", and the spa at the back of the pool is raised an additional 12".) I've found some glass tile I like, but it would be considerably more expensive than the 6" (about 2-4x as much) - and sounds like more maintenance, too.

So here's my question:
Would it make sense to use the 6" waterline tile around the whole perimeter and then add some glass tile above it on the raised sections (beam along fence and spa)? Alternatively, could we use glass tile along fence and spa and stick with 6" tile along the sides that are on grade? I'm having a hard time picturing how it would look.

Here are the tiles I've found so far:
Presentation1.jpg
I like the first glass tile as a 1x4 subway tile, but the manufacturer recommends sticking with 1x2 subway tiles for pools. The second glass tile is an iridescent glass tile which looks better on horizontal surfaces than vertical surfaces. Might be a little more bling than I'm going for? I like the third glass tile because it looks like beach glass. The 6" tile is the closest I've been able to come to matching the travertine.

If it helps, here's a picture of the raised areas.

IMG-4964.jpg

(The photo I've been using for inspiration is a couple of replies back in this thread.)

Here is the Lunada Bay tile thread that I started.

I think I have finally figured out the pavers/coping/waterline/accent/surface thing:
-classic light tumbled travertine for coping, pavers, and back of spa (undecided on bullnose vs flat coping) - needs to be sealed
-travertine-esque porcelain waterline tiles
-aqua/blue/tan/champagne glass mosaic for spa (undecided on whether to use on raised wall, shelves, or steps)
-Pebble Fina in Cielo Blue (probably) - check into adding extra Shimmering Sea

I should probably order them before I change my mind. Again.
I've even found some possible house paint colors because our patio and house are going to clash spectacularly.

Now I just need to figure out where to sparingly and strategically place the overpriced/high maintenance glass tile to greatest effect. Then on to research installation and grout before meeting with the PB next week. He's going to have my head when he sees the size of the heat pump/chiller. I'm not even sure how they're going to get this 400lb beast to the pad.

IMG-5015.jpg

Thanks, madtv126.

I think the finish on our computer design is actually silver travertine with solid gray coping.

The initial colors from the PB didn't include silver, but he has been open to looking into tiles from other vendors. I believe the tile store that he works with carries silver travertine, but the coloring/veining (?) seemed a bit intense. I've seen pictures of gorgeous silver travertine, but there's so much variation in natural stone.

Will be talking to PB this evening, so should know more then...

Yep, we have classic light travertine and went with the tilers recommendation of Mapei Jasmine. It’s standard here apparently for this paver. Very, very happy with the colour. We also used it on our water line tile as we spent forever trying to find a good colour to go with. It’s a similar colour to the trav so it made sense as soon as the tilers suggested it... after many nights of deliberation lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.