Let the wild rumpus start! (new Houston build underway)

Will do!!! (On both counts.) Though I'm not sure which color it will be LOL. We did a last minute change this morning. Pretty sure the PB is on top of it, but I've decided that whatever shows up is meant to be.

Now to get the rest of the fence ordered...

The surface has been applied. Today they'll be back to wash, polish, and start filling the pool. And thanks to this site, I was mentally prepared for this stage. Even so, my husband and I looked at the color of the finish last night and had that anxiety-laden 'what have we done' moment. It's just so blue.

pre-acid wash.jpg an unholy shade of blue.

Our relatively-unflappable PB* was by to install an LED bulb this morning and reiterated what I've read on the site. Yes, the color looks awful right now, and yes, it will be better by the day's end. I'm now mentally bracing for the color of the pre-treated water. I think I'll just keep the curtains drawn for 2-3 weeks. I also realized that I need to head to the pool store and get a net. I have a feeling that this pool is going to test my affinity for trees.

sycamore.jpgI liked you better in March.

*gunite day

What color did you decide on? I think it will look amazing when it is done if it's like mine.
9687b36d883c27c1934b4a752312dd6e.jpg

Very nice color, madtv126. To answer your question, we wound up going with Aqua Blue PebbleSheen with broadcasted Shimmering Sea.

And this is the round-about way that we arrived at that decision:
The initial plan was to go with a light, smooth finish. I was looking at quartz aggregate, which has more durability than plaster but a smaller upcharge than pebble aggregates. It also complimented the stone and glass tile we were looking at. However, my husband and I decided that the quality of the application (assuming quality material) was probably the most important factor. The sub that we wanted to use installs PebbleTech, so we focused on the three lightest shades of Pebble Fina. Then three things happened. (1) We wound up scrapping our plan to use glass tile and went instead with a light ledger stone. (2) When we went to see our surface choice in person, the women said she was having her surface redone after a year. (3) We had to sign a disclaimer which made me realize that the mottling, streaking, and cracking issues that come up may be more of a feature than a bug. We could have gone with one of the white PF colors, but it was very difficult to find any pools to view - either in photos or in-person. The posts from people that had them or had seen them were lukewarm. Ultimately, I figured it wasn't worth having a blah shaded area or potential staining issues. And it definitely wasn't worth it if we had to pay a bigger upcharge for it. So at that point, we decided that the PebbleSheen (which was essentially the same price as PebbleFina for us) would be a more forgiving surface. Cue the obsessing over a whole new set of colors. Two of the lightest colors had an additional upcharge, so we wound up ruling them out - not enough bang for the buck. In the end, we chose between White Diamonds, Aqua Blue, and Blue Granite. Aqua Blue was the best fit for us in terms of shade, and when it inevitably fades some, it will fade into a shade that we're also happy with.
We also wound up getting a heat pump with a chiller, so I was not as concerned about going with a really light color to try to minimize the summertime bathtub effect.

It was super-helpful to be able to read all of the finish and color posts on the site - sometimes more than once - when making the decision. It was also super-helpful to get feedback from people - both in private messages and on this thread.

Excellent choice especially with all your consideration put into your choice. Mine is Pebbletec blue lagoon we love it we know the color will change over the next 30 days or so, but wanted a more blue pool since we are in SC and our neighbors have darker pools read (black colors) that reached temps of 95 degrees and more. I am glad I have 2 sheers and a big spill over so I get the swamp cooling effect in summer.

Your pool looks amazing and I love the design.

Thank you very much. I worked the design to death on Pool Studio for about three months, but I think it turned out to have everything we were looking for. My husband jokes that we research and analyze projects to the point of absurdity - but are generally happy with the result. I’m just ready to get to the landscaping. That’s the more therapeutic part of the project for me.

I would love to have gone with more gray like you have - both stone and pool surface - but the gray paver of my dreams does not exist in this state. Or at least not at the 20-something tile shops and stone yards I visited. It’s funny. Design aside, it looks nothing like the plan I had, but I think we’ll love it anyway. We’re fortunate to be able to put in a pool, so the focus will be on being grateful and enjoying it!

I am so glad you are ready for the "oh poop" moment with the color!

Ask you PB for your brush and net. He would be providing this with the pool.

Water-make sure to put socks or such over the end of the hose to help filter the water and protect the new plaster from the metal.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The final color decision was made the morning of the surfacing. The PB and finisher seemed to take it in stride. Maybe they deal with this type of manic indecision more often than one would think? If I had known we’d go with a darker color, I might have gone with a different water line tile. Lessons learned :) Your feedback really helped with the AquaBlue decision, jaymantx. So thank you again!

When I returned home there was a submerged pump of sorts in the pool. The attached hose was shooting out water and whipping itself around the pool. Great deterrent for the thirsty ferals. There was also a floating disk in the water (chlorine tablet holder?). The PB told my husband that they’d fire up the equipment tomorrow.

Doing our part to keep the pool brushed and as leaf-free as possible.

I bet they added something to the water and the pump in the water was meant to stay in the water :roll: and mix the chemicals up.

The floaters has a chlorine puck/tablet in it is my guess. It will add some FC, CYA and help lower the pH some.

Kim:kim:

Check in:
The temporary pump was removed yesterday, and the equipment (pump, filter) was turned on. Yay. The Fastlane should go in within the week, but as per the instructions, the water should be balanced first.

The water is still pretty green, though it’s not quite as cloudy as it had been.

When the spa valves are open, the cascade looks pretty good. When the flow drops, the water tends to pull towards the wall when it goes over the edge. I remember reading a post on this - need to see if I can find it.

2CF6D128-2E5F-4A05-A6DC-5DB90401D1F2.jpg
A39059ED-EED9-47D8-B688-970DA7CB8016.jpg

Attachments

• A66CE73C-438C-418A-9439-D57D971456B4.jpg
    A66CE73C-438C-418A-9439-D57D971456B4.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 167

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.