winter cover ?

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
(*Still having problems getting my info to appear at bottom of message). Anyway, the past couple years we closed (AG) with a solid cover that we secured around the sides of the pool. However, this year we have circled the pool with a synthetic deck. So it would be difficult to tuck the cover in between the pool side and deck and still be able to pull it tight. I've read some posts where some use water bags, and other use sand bags (messy??). Has anyone found a great solution for this problem? I've even given some thought to no cover at all. We have to close as winters are too unpredictable here, but maybe no cover??

The cover is only needed to keep debris out of the pool while it sits. If you have no trees or other sources of debris to land in there, then a cover is not required.

If you need a cover, you probably need to figure out what to do so that the cover can go down around the edges. We do not use weights, just a cable with a winch which has never failed us. If you have a deck all the way around, then I'm guessing wind ripping that cover up probably isn't an issue. Put a cable and winch on it.

If your deck goes all the way around I'm picturing a very difficult job getting the winch tight. Some use a mesh leaf net until the leaves have all fallen. You could consider that. (then just leave it uncovered.)

You still may get dust and crud but it's nothing that can't be vacumed out in the spring. Many people don't cover and report no problems.

There was a poster living near me who had a surrounding deck and they didn't cover last year, after always having problems from their deck surround - they were very pleased. And that's a CHICAGO winter!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm seriously considering leaving it uncovered then...if they can handle it in Chicago! I guess I just had reservations as to whether or not it would shorten the life of the pool liner..being exposed to the elements like that. At least the cover would keep the extreme elements away from the liner...or would it??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.