Not sure I agree with Plaster Start Up procedure

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I had my pool plastered (gem coat by Florida Stucco) on Friday. We filled it with city drinking water from noon on Friday until Saturday morning. The PB said to add chlorine right away, but the start up procedure I found on here said to wait 72 hrs. I did not add chlorine. Well, Sunday we already had yellow algea growing in some spots and black spots started developing. This was despite my brushing and following the other directions. It will be 72 hours tomorrow, so I'll start adding it and the CYA. Anything special I should do?

Most municipal water supplies have chlorine - have you tested your tap?

Are you sure the spots were algae and not dust/dirt/pollen etc?

I would add 2ppm at a time - use the pool calc to determine amount. The first day or two without CYA it will be rapidly consumed so check and add bleach a couple times a day.

It was definately algea. It was like a little tuft of yellow hair. The chlorine from the tap registered around 1ppm. However, some of the fill was done during the day with bright sun so it probably was used up quickly. The PB is coming over today to get the CYA up to spec and that should help. I also added a floater for this first month before the SWG kicks in since I can't be at home to add chlorine multiple times a day. It will be nice to have as a backup in case the SWG ever fails or we loose power during a storm. I bought several jugs of bleach too to have on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.