Issues with Pool Builder

Hi everyone,

I am new here to trouble free pool. I really wanted to make a thread about what’s been going on with my pool contractor and get your opinions but I can’t figure out how to make a thread �� can anyone help me! I definitely need advice from someone who has dealt with a shady contractor!

M,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "Why is my pool not done?" construction questions, no matter what color your county is... :shark:

Keep in mind we can only give you our opinion, we can't take sides nor provide any legal advice...

So tell us, what seems to the main problem?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Everyone!

So happy to be here. I wish I had known about this site before I embarked on this pool remodel project! Here’s a little background on our unfortunate situation - we purchased our home in 2011 and found the hose left on and shut it off. Within a few days to a week (can’t remember exactly) our entire pool drained by itself. The selling realtor told us it was our problem and to contact our home warranty. The warranty told us it is obviously pre existing so they wouldn’t cover it. So we did what any first time homeowner couple that’s living just above poverty level would do, and left the dang thing empty for over 7 years!

Fast forward to 2018, we finally got it together and decided that it was time to fix the pool. I did quite a bit of research on local contractors and got some rough quotes on a remodel (ugh, $50k plus! Ridiculous). I finally found a contractor that had pretty good reviews who was going to do the job for a little over $30,000 (basic with no upgrades). This was to remove our old fiberglass pool and all plumbing and electrical. We are installing a gunite pool and adding a jacuzzi within the border of the pool. We ended up adding about $17,000 in upgrades or changes on top of the $30,000. We are at a grand total of $47k. I have paid the contractor $45k so far.

There have been a few mishaps along the way, my garage got super soaked due to a bad water line install (flooded is dramatic but there was quite a bit of water) which damaged a lot of things on shelves and got our car wet (not that big of a deal, but it is an expensive car), the shotcrete fellas overshot the spa, rendering 2 of the jets useless since they were just above the bench (as in, they’ll shoot right into your rear end if you sit there!), to make up for that, 2 of the jacuzzi benches were chiseled 3” Lower than the other 2 benches and I was promised 2 extra jets with an additional pump to make sure pressure is good in the jets. I did get the extra jets but not the pump.

My REAL problem is the TILE. The tile job is absolutely horrendous. We chose lightwaves aquamarine 2x2 inch tiles and wanted to go with the aqua blue mini pebble. Our contractor hired a subcontractor to do the tile. He was apparently drinking on the job (not being smart alec here, they literally caught him after I complained). The tile he had laid on the jacuzzi that I complained about after day 1 was absolutely horrendous and misaligned. Our contractor happily ripped it all out and re did the jacuzzi (pool tile came out ok somehow) and contractor re did tile himself with another guy. This tile job still came out pretty bad (but better than the first time). Yes they re used some of the tile used the first time along with the remaining new boxes I had purchased. There are several chipped areas, mesh sticking out of grout, uneven areas, overly grouted areas, tile that doesn’t line up. I’ll post pictures.

I attempted to talk to the pool builder to make this tile right. He told me he will waive the last $2,000 I owe him if I take it as is. Or if I want to pay him the $2,000 which I technically owe him because it’s in the contract, he will spot fix 3 areas of this tile (there’s way more than 3 problem areas). I asked him to take it all out and re do it again with a top notch tile setter. He said no, unless I pay the last $2k on contract, buy material and pay $1,650 for labor. So far I have already paid $2,900 for tile, if I pay another $2k plus $3,650 for material and labor, I’ll be at $8,500 for a tile job on a 6x6 jacuzzi and a 24x11 foot pool! This seems ridiculous.

I was even accused of sabatoging the job and purposely chipping the tile. I was told the mesh sticking out will dissolve in water. Finally, I was told that the tile is aesthetic and the pool will pass inspection so he doesn’t feel he should replace everything unless I pay full price to have it re done a third time. At this point all I asked for was to waive the $2,070 balance, fix the areas of mesh sticking out, and finish laying the step and jacuzzi bench trim tiles that I as the homeowner, spent 4 hours cleaning up from the rubble pile of tile they took off and threw to the side since he told me he will not buy any more tile. He said my request was unreasonable and if I want my trim tile installed that I need to pay for half a day of labor.

He is turning it on me and saying he is happy to fix 3 problem areas if I stop refusing to pay the remaining contract balance. I am standing firm on that if I pay that balance, he needs to fix ALL OF IT not just 3 spots.

Today we had an inspection that the contractor didn’t show up for and we failed. Pool lights were 13” and 6” under water like but need to be 18”, there were electrical wires grounded to plastic and to my heater cover, there is rebar sticking out through the gunite in the pool, the door alarms were not installed correctly. We were told the wiring errors could cause a fire or the gas line to explode.

Contractor has offered to walk away from the job and give me $4,000 cash back and waive the $2,070 balance. That would leave me with a horrific tile job, no plaster or pebble and incomplete/wrong electrical, having paid $41k. I don’t feel like $4k is a reasonable refund. He is willing to correct his electrical mistakes and do my mini pebble but will not fix the mesh on the tile or install my trim tile. I am thinking I’ll watch a YouTube video and do my own trim tile install this weekend and fix the mesh myself. Or hire someone to do just those small areas, and then let him fix the electrical and pebble it? Several others I know are telling me to just take him to court. The contractor is telling me I am being unfair but I don’t feel like I’m asking for too much. I wanted to get several third party opinions on what to do so I know if I’m way out of line or am I being reasonable? Sorry this was so long everyone! Whew!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I feel for you so much!! Read our horror story below ��

The tile does not look that bad. For what its worth its hard to set small 2x2 tiles as they want to move.
If you are really particular you could chip off that corner vertically of two tiles and reset new tiles in about 30 minutes.
The grout is easy to fix yourself. Can't really see the mesh but you should be able to cut it off with a razor blade and regrout the area. Again easy.

I would be most concerned about the pool light height - this is not an easy fix.

And the pebble finish could easily cost 6k plus if you had another vendor/ contractor do the work.

Once filled with water and swimming most of the small errors will no longer be noticed - except by you.

I would get the structural items on the punch list repaired by your original contractor - and let him plaster / pebble the pool and I would just deal with the tile issues as they are just cosmetic - and can be fixed now or anytime. If you blow up your contractor you will end up without a pool to swim in this summer and your costs will surely go much higher.

Just my opinion - as contractors and subs do make mistakes, but if he can fix it - good. If he can't fix the structural and electrical issues then you have a valid contractual dispute.

You may also be able to find a local "pool expert" that can help you finish the project on a consulting/ fee basis.

I love, love, love the tile you picked out! It is one of my favs!

That uneven area would bother me as well. The mesh would be an easy fix with tweezers and flat nail clippers. The holes in the grout would also be any easy fix with more grout to fill in the holes.

I say you work with the PB.....Offer to have a sit down with him. Offer some yummies and cold soft drinks when you do it. Have pics of your 6 worst areas for the tile (he said three you are going to try for 6).

You have problems, he can fix them. Show the problems and offer your idea for the solutions. Have it all in writing so you can go down the list. Do NOT go over board. You want to give him an out on some of them.

You also need to have the contract out to point out what is in it (step tiles). Point this out to him. Tell him you really want to work with him to get the pool finished so everyone will be happy with the outcome. Thank him for trying to fix the tile after the bad job done by the sub. (gurrrrr drinking on the job??)

Put a smile on your face no matter what your head is saying! You will come out way ahead if he will step up and finish the pool like it should be and according to the contract.

Have EVERYTHING in writing!!! I am also going to call in anther person that just had to "work with his PB" to overcome some problems :roll:

Do you think you can do this? It will be hard and man oh man you should not have to but...........this is real life and not everything goes as planned.

You’re not being picky. A few tiny holes in grout are OK but chipped tiles and tiles not lining up are not acceptable in my book. It would have been better if you had only paid 50% upfront or less and the remainder upon completion to your satisfaction. We’ve had to deal with contractors this year and it’s mind boggling how sloppy some of these so-called pro companies are. If you’re not watching over them, they don’t do a good job. Very infuriating bc it’s not cheap! I think what you’re asking from them is reasonable. Push for them to fix as much as they can. Good luck. Btw, the blue tile is gorgeous.

Kim is trying to get you to sweeten it up, make the guy like you and in doing so, he feels he wants to help a friend, I sure hope that works.

Truth is, it’s a crappy job, those tiles have mesh on the back that helps in alignment. I suspect the misplaced ones were free tiles and just poked in place. Did he leave you extras? It’s a relatively easy fix.

The lights are a bigger concern, not passing inspection is a big issue in my books.

Sadly, your only course of action might be with a lawyer to scare him into fixing his errors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would ask for estimates for repairs and completion from another couple of builders, and use that information to negotiate an agreement. If it is going to cost more than $6000 to complete the repairs and plaster, then his offer is no good. If you agree to let him walk away it should be with enough money in your hand to repair so it passes inspection and finishes the job.

One other point, some builders will not take on another builders project, as they don't want to be held responsible for construction errors that may crop up in the future, so make sure you find someone willing to finish the job if you agree to let this guy walk.

Kim is trying to get you to sweeten it up, make the guy like you and in doing so, he feels he wants to help a friend, I sure hope that works.

Truth is, it’s a crappy job, those tiles have mesh on the back that helps in alignment. I suspect the misplaced ones were free tiles and just poked in place. Did he leave you extras? It’s a relatively easy fix.

The lights are a bigger concern, not passing inspection is a big issue in my books.

Sadly, your only course of action might be with a lawyer to scare him into fixing his errors.

I have been nice throughout this entire build even though several things have happened that aren’t satisfactory. I’ve always kept my cool and let things slide with minimal correction on his end. Maybe this is why I’m having so much trouble now trying to ask for something to be corrected.

The few pics I’ve been able to post do not even scratch the surface of everything that is wrong with the tile job. I keep trying to upload more photos and the site isn’t letting me ��

The only extra tiles I have are full of grout and have to be cleaned up to see if they’re usable. He bought 140 sq ft of tile. Even though I measure closer to 90 sq ft. So I overpaid on 50 feet of tile at $27 a square foot as well. There’s nothing new left because they’ve already re done the jacuzzi tile once

I don’t see anybody mentioning the rebar being through the gunite and the bonding/grounding being connected to plastic. To me those are huge issues as are the lights being in the wrong location which several people mentioned. He absolutely has to fix stuff that won’t pass inspection or is a significant quality issue. I agree, I would try to work with him as best as possible and push on the cosmetic stuff later. That stuff is fixable and less expensive to get someone else to do if necessary.

I would not pay him another dime. How was your contract set up? Mine is basically “draws” at significant steps but I am not billed until afterwards so there is plenty of time to notice issues (which there have not been any so far).

Sorry you’re going through this. My stress lies in delays, not quality and it has been pretty stressful. I can’t imagine dealing with what you are.

I think your pool not passing inspection is a much bigger issue then the cosmetic tile issues. Without the inspections you have a $40K hole in the ground.

You need to prioritize your issues from major to minor. You are not going to get them all fixed and have to be willing to the more cosmetic and easy to fix items.

I think you are stuck working with you builder. Legal remedies will get you little to nothing. I doubt another builder will pickup the mess for any reasonable price.

Make a complete list of the problems. Sit down with the builder and draw a line where once he corrects these problems he gets the remaining $2K payment.

I agree with ajw22. "Legal remedies" are going to cost you a fortune and take forever. I think you need to be practical and find a way to work through it with the contractor you have. That may mean paying him some additional money that he manifestly does not deserve just to get it done. I would not assume that is the only way out, however.

You need to figure out how best to work with you pool builder. Maybe it is by laying a guilt trip on him, maybe he is worried about reputation and bad reviews. Maybe you can play bad cop credibly, or maybe you should try Kim's route of cookies and milk. You have to figure out what works for you. But I think you need to engage with him in whatever fashion suits your style.

As others have said, get over the tile. Put it low down on the list. He failed inspection, "grounded" electric wires in an unsafe manner, and put the lights in the wrong place. These things should cause him to worry about his license, and surely don't conform to the contract terms. Use them to negotiate the best outcome you can.

I am also going to call in anther person that just had to "work with his PB" to overcome some problems :roll:

That's me!

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. It's awful, and stressful. I feel for you.

I'm not a lawyer, but managed to learn a lot about how things work in CA when it comes to contractors who misbehave.

First things first. Do not do any work yourself to correct anything. You must give your contractor the opportunity to fix what is wrong. No harm in getting other bids. And I do not believe you'll have that much trouble getting someone else to do the necessary work if it comes to that. You need a remodel (of your remodel), and there are plenty of contractors that do that all the time. So your pool can, and will, be made right, eventually. A good plaster company can probably do most of what you need done. You might not need another PB at all. But don't attempt any repairs or hire someone else to do any work. Not yet.

I don't see anything in your complaints that is unreasonable. And I am not one who thinks you should "give in" on the little things to facilitate getting the big things corrected. Yes, you have big and little issues, but they can all be lumped into a punch list and should all be corrected. I don't feel you need to negotiate anything. Your pool should be delivered as promised, and everything should be up to par, and certainly up to code.

Start documenting everything. Take lots of pictures. Try to communicate with the contractor in writing as much as possible. Email is OK. Follow up conversations with an email synopsis. You may or may not want to try Kim's approach. I wouldn't (sorry Kim). I think you are beyond that. No harm in trying, for sure, I just don't think that's going to get you anywhere. This guy has his hackles up, and is looking to minimize losses. He's not going to be swayed by your good graces, or good manners. (IMO) Once I knew my guy was not going to perform (because he flat out said so), I stopped talking to him altogether, and told him so. I made it clear all future communications must be in writing. We never spoke after that. That's a big step, but in my case it had no bearing on my outcome. Ironically, because this guy wasn't too bright, a lot of what he wrote inadvertently made my case. Half of my evidence was going to be his letters and emails, in which he admitted all sorts of wrong doing and illegal activity. If he had done that only on the phone, that wouldn't have helped me much at all. My guy was a liar, so he would have denied everything to a judge. But by forcing the letter writing, I had him dead to rights. Most contractors are quite ignorant of contractor law, and will trip themselves up if you allow them.

So...

You do not have to pay him the final payment. So don't. You are in what is known as a "good faith dispute." That suspends your need to pay, and the contractors right to be paid, until the dispute is resolved. That might mean you'll owe him some interest if he can prove the dispute was unfounded, but obviously that is not the case. I think I read he can't even ask for final payment (as in, that's illegal), until the work is complete. Clearly, not passing inspection means the work is not complete, so you are in the right in that regard.

Next...

Write a letter to the contractor. List all the things that are not complete, not to your satisfaction, not up to code, etc. Leave out any emotional-type rhetoric or long-winded explanations or justifications. All unnecessary. Just state the facts. Then state a deadline by which the outstanding work must be completed (two weeks? four weeks?). I'm not sure what would be considered reasonable, but the baseline would be how much time a contractor would need to finish everything. Here's the bad news, and only based on my limited understanding of pools in general and yours specifically: you are looking at a complete chip out of your finish, possibly a complete re-tile job, and some gunite work (or patch work). I'm basing that on the lights. If they have to be moved, and the rebar situation has to be addressed, that means a full chip out. He might try to pawn off a patch job. I wouldn't accept that. Typically some tile work is lost in that process, so unless the tile can be matched, then all the tile gets redone. So that's at least two weeks. More if you're feeling generous. The letter needs to include language that clearly states your intention to take him to court should he fail to comply by your deadline. This is a necessity in order to use the letter as your basis for a lawsuit. It will inflame the situation, so be prepared to "go for it" should the contractor not comply. Send the letter certified mail. Then you wait for the reply. The next step is based on his response.

So if he refuses any or all of your demand, then you go to the Board (California Contractors State License Board). Go to their website, download the complaint form, fill it out and submit the complaint. You'll include a copy of the letter, along with your other evidence (pictures, emails, etc). The Board will then intervene between you and the contractor and attempt to negotiate a solution. That's as far as I got. The Board can't do much to force a contractor to do anything, but apparently they (or at least my case worker) have their ways, and my contractor ponied up. The entire amount I was due. And I sought everything: new plaster, new tile, the cost of the refill water, the salt, new plaster startup costs, etc.

Had that failed, my next step would have been to file a complaint against the bond (all CA contractors are required to carry a bond). The Board doesn't do that, that's something you do separately. Theoretically, the bond company would pick up the tab for the fix (pay you), then go after the contractor to make good on the cost. I didn't get that far. The bond company is basically an insurance company, and they decide about doling out the bond. Seems like a complete conflict of interest (an insurance company allowed to decide if they pay out?!?), but that's the system here in CA. I was disappointed to learn the Board doesn't direct the payment of the bond. I don't have any experience if that system works or not.

The final resolution would be court. You might be able to use Small Claims (up to $10K), but it's hard to say if that would cover everything. My remodel was $9K, but I didn't have any rebar or electrical issues. My remodel included work on my returns and drains, so there was some gunite chipping and patching done, but I'm not sure that would cover your lights issue. I think they're going to have to dig up the dirt behind the light, to move the conduit, and punch a hole in the gunite to reset the lights. Is there a deck yet? If so, that would surely put you over the $10K. So you could settle for $10K and eat the rest, or go to Superior Court and pay a lawyer, which might eat into what you settle for. Tough call. Let's not go down that road yet. I made myself sick (literally) stressing and worrying about court, only to have the whole thing taken care of by the Board. And maybe you won't even have to go there, if the contractor comes around because of the letter. Do one thing at a time. Don't worry about things you don't have to worry about yet. I only mention "worst case" so that you can start preparing for that possibility (such as documenting, writing the letter, etc).

As long as he thinks he has an out, and might be able to negotiate his way out of finishing the job, or push you around some more, he's not going to budge. The letter (IMO) is the first salvo that sends a clear message that you're going to get what's due you, one way or another, and that you mean business. That certified mail sticker on an envelope can be sobering to someone that thinks he can get away with not doing what's right. Didn't work with my guy, we exchanged certified letters multiple times, in which he continued to try and shirk his responsibilities. He thought he had nothing to lose stringing me along, hoping I'd cave. He thought wrong. Whatever my Board case worker did was all that was needed. But I would have gone to court, and I think my contractor knew that, but was willing to push things that far on the off chance he could minimize his pay out by BSing the judge. I suspect the case worker convinced him he was going to lose. And maybe she threatened some Board sanctions or something. Not sure. Hopefully your situation will resolve before it goes too much further.

That's a primer of one course of action. Weigh carefully if and when you want to go down that road. You know best what this guy's personality is, and how he might respond to this course of action, or Kim's, or another's. Do some googling. About CA Contractor law, CA small claims requirement, etc. You can do all that, and more, first, without any out of pocket. Knowledge is power. Try Kim's method first, if that fits your sensibilities. Then try something "stronger" if that doesn't work. Keep in mind, though, that once lawyers are involved, everybody loses except them. That is your last resort. There are other things to try first.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any help...

That's me!

So sorry to hear of your dilemma. It's awful, and stressful. I feel for you.

I'm not a lawyer, but managed to learn a lot about how things work in CA when it comes to contractors who misbehave.

First things first. Do not do any work yourself to correct anything. You must give your contractor the opportunity to fix what is wrong. No harm in getting other bids. And I do not believe you'll have that much trouble getting someone else to do the necessary work if it comes to that. You need a remodel (of your remodel), and there are plenty of contractors that do that all the time. So your pool can, and will, be made right, eventually. A good plaster company can probably do most of what you need done. You might not need another PB at all. But don't attempt any repairs or hire someone else to do any work. Not yet.

I don't see anything in your complaints that is unreasonable. And I am not one who thinks you should "give in" on the little things to facilitate getting the big things corrected. Yes, you have big and little issues, but they can all be lumped into a punch list and should all be corrected. I don't feel you need to negotiate anything. Your pool should be delivered as promised, and everything should be up to par, and certainly up to code.

Start documenting everything. Take lots of pictures. Try to communicate with the contractor in writing as much as possible. Email is OK. Follow up conversations with an email synopsis. You may or may not want to try Kim's approach. I wouldn't (sorry Kim). I think you are beyond that. No harm in trying, for sure, I just don't think that's going to get you anywhere. This guy has his hackles up, and is looking to minimize losses. He's not going to be swayed by your good graces, or good manners. (IMO) Once I knew my guy was not going to perform (because he flat out said so), I stopped talking to him altogether, and told him so. I made it clear all future communications must be in writing. We never spoke after that. That's a big step, but in my case it had no bearing on my outcome. Ironically, because this guy wasn't too bright, a lot of what he wrote inadvertently made my case. Half of my evidence was going to be his letters and emails, in which he admitted all sorts of wrong doing and illegal activity. If he had done that only on the phone, that wouldn't have helped me much at all. My guy was a liar, so he would have denied everything to a judge. But by forcing the letter writing, I had him dead to rights. Most contractors are quite ignorant of contractor law, and will trip themselves up if you allow them.

So...

You do not have to pay him the final payment. So don't. You are in what is known as a "good faith dispute." That suspends your need to pay, and the contractors right to be paid, until the dispute is resolved. That might mean you'll owe him some interest if he can prove the dispute was unfounded, but obviously that is not the case. I think I read he can't even ask for final payment (as in, that's illegal), until the work is complete. Clearly, not passing inspection means the work is not complete, so you are in the right in that regard.

Next...

Write a letter to the contractor. List all the things that are not complete, not to your satisfaction, not up to code, etc. Leave out any emotional-type rhetoric or long-winded explanations or justifications. All unnecessary. Just state the facts. Then state a deadline by which the outstanding work must be completed (two weeks? four weeks?). I'm not sure what would be considered reasonable, but the baseline would be how much time a contractor would need to finish everything. Here's the bad news, and only based on my limited understanding of pools in general and yours specifically: you are looking at a complete chip out of your finish, possibly a complete re-tile job, and some gunite work (or patch work). I'm basing that on the lights. If they have to be moved, and the rebar situation has to be addressed, that means a full chip out. He might try to pawn off a patch job. I wouldn't accept that. Typically some tile work is lost in that process, so unless the tile can be matched, then all the tile gets redone. So that's at least two weeks. More if you're feeling generous. The letter needs to include language that clearly states your intention to take him to court should he fail to comply by your deadline. This is a necessity in order to use the letter as your basis for a lawsuit. It will inflame the situation, so be prepared to "go for it" should the contractor not comply. Send the letter certified mail. Then you wait for the reply. The next step is based on his response.

So if he refuses any or all of your demand, then you go to the Board (California Contractors State License Board). Go to their website, download the complaint form, fill it out and submit the complaint. You'll include a copy of the letter, along with your other evidence (pictures, emails, etc). The Board will then intervene between you and the contractor and attempt to negotiate a solution. That's as far as I got. The Board can't do much to force a contractor to do anything, but apparently they (or at least my case worker) have their ways, and my contractor ponied up. The entire amount I was due. And I sought everything: new plaster, new tile, the cost of the refill water, the salt, new plaster startup costs, etc.

Had that failed, my next step would have been to file a complaint against the bond (all CA contractors are required to carry a bond). The Board doesn't do that, that's something you do separately. Theoretically, the bond company would pick up the tab for the fix (pay you), then go after the contractor to make good on the cost. I didn't get that far. The bond company is basically an insurance company, and they decide about doling out the bond. Seems like a complete conflict of interest (an insurance company allowed to decide if they pay out?!?), but that's the system here in CA. I was disappointed to learn the Board doesn't direct the payment of the bond. I don't have any experience if that system works or not.

The final resolution would be court. You might be able to use Small Claims (up to $10K), but it's hard to say if that would cover everything. My remodel was $9K, but I didn't have any rebar or electrical issues. My remodel included work on my returns and drains, so there was some gunite chipping and patching done, but I'm not sure that would cover your lights issue. I think they're going to have to dig up the dirt behind the light, to move the conduit, and punch a hole in the gunite to reset the lights. Is there a deck yet? If so, that would surely put you over the $10K. So you could settle for $10K and eat the rest, or go to Superior Court and pay a lawyer, which might eat into what you settle for. Tough call. Let's not go down that road yet. I made myself sick (literally) stressing and worrying about court, only to have the whole thing taken care of by the Board. And maybe you won't even have to go there, if the contractor comes around because of the letter. Do one thing at a time. Don't worry about things you don't have to worry about yet. I only mention "worst case" so that you can start preparing for that possibility (such as documenting, writing the letter, etc).

As long as he thinks he has an out, and might be able to negotiate his way out of finishing the job, or push you around some more, he's not going to budge. The letter (IMO) is the first salvo that sends a clear message that you're going to get what's due you, one way or another, and that you mean business. That certified mail sticker on an envelope can be sobering to someone that thinks he can get away with not doing what's right. Didn't work with my guy, we exchanged certified letters multiple times, in which he continued to try and shirk his responsibilities. He thought he had nothing to lose stringing me along, hoping I'd cave. He thought wrong. Whatever my Board case worker did was all that was needed. But I would have gone to court, and I think my contractor knew that, but was willing to push things that far on the off chance he could minimize his pay out by BSing the judge. I suspect the case worker convinced him he was going to lose. And maybe she threatened some Board sanctions or something. Not sure. Hopefully your situation will resolve before it goes too much further.

That's a primer of one course of action. Weigh carefully if and when you want to go down that road. You know best what this guy's personality is, and how he might respond to this course of action, or Kim's, or another's. Do some googling. About CA Contractor law, CA small claims requirement, etc. You can do all that, and more, first, without any out of pocket. Knowledge is power. Try Kim's method first, if that fits your sensibilities. Then try something "stronger" if that doesn't work. Keep in mind, though, that once lawyers are involved, everybody loses except them. That is your last resort. There are other things to try first.

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any help...

Wow, thank you so much for this information! This is excellent info that I had no idea about. I am definitely keeping everything you said in mind and will try these avenues first before court. I am waiting to hear back from him on the long email I sent with every issue listed and what he will do to resolve it. Ball is in his court right now.

If you have to take them to court, be sure to consult with a lawyer first. In NJ, a code violation is consumer fraud. If PB's conduct violated California consumer fraud laws, you could get punitive damages, attorneys' fees, and more.

I was in a similar situation last year with our pool and PB - see my thread on my issues with the tile. Our PB let me know it was time for the final draw before inspection and plaster, but we told him we were unhappy with the tile work and unfinished equipment pad/wall - we wanted it fixed before giving him our final payment... He went MIA for 5 weeks. I warned my husband I was going to fire the PB if he didn't call during week 6. When he finally contacted me to let me know he was sending a crew out to fix the tile and equipment pad, I taped up EVERY SPOT I wanted fixed. After all of the corrections were made, we failed inspection twice! We would have failed three times if my son didn't save the day - nothing major though. The first time we failed was because of the door alarms, space under the gate that needed to be filled, and some kind of paperwork that needed to be present... the second time (and almost the third) was because we still had that same paperwork issue. Long story, short- PB probably lost money on my pool when he didn't get that final draw. And to be honest, when he finally did complete our pool, I think he sent some rookies out to shoot our plaster because we got a really uneven finish. So I'm glad we didn't pay him until our pool was complete. My husband said we'd have no leverage if we had paid in full.

You, on the other hand, your situation is a little more complex... you have functional issues that need to be addressed and corrected. You already paid for this portion of your build and you need to be able to pass inspection. With that being said, I wouldn't want him working on my pool anymore. It seems that the subs he's sending out lack the expertise to get the job done right... who knows what other new problems will arise if he continues on with your build. So, since corrections need to be made and you haven't even passed inspection, I'd be consulting other contractors to complete your pool. Find out what it would cost for the rebar and electrical issues (maybe even throw in the tile) and if it's reasonably more than the $4000 he's offering, throw that number at him as a refund before he walks away.

Just my $.02.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.