Moral dilemma

Aug 31, 2009
Austin, TX
Been reading up on BBB and Pool School, just got a new IC20 generator and I think I have everything down. The pool is crystal clear thanks to all the advice I've received. All the replies/responses I've gotten from other TFP members has been truly heartening.
Here's the problem:
We've had the same pool guy since day one and he's done an awesome job. Always on time, always available on the phone, very friendly, etc, BUT he charges $100 a month for a weekly service (no charge for chemicals)
How do I go about letting him go, assuming I'm as on top of all this as I think I am? Even in the worse case scenario, I can't imagine I'd EVER spend $100 in a month even adding in gasoline, travel time to get supplies, etc., once I go it alone. Is there a FAQ that covers the tactful 'downsizing' of your pool guy, especially if you're a non-confrontational sort like me?

Thanks,

Stewart

No FAQ that I'm aware of, but I'd probably go the route of apologizing but blaming it on the current economic situation. Something like "I'm having to cut back on some things, and I'm sorry but the weekly pool service is going to have to be one of them." You should promise to call him if you need help with anything. And obviously with such an attentive guy, you actually should call him if you need help with anything! Maybe even make a point of it a couple months down the road.
--paulr

I agree with Paul - and honestly he shouldn't be that surprised - many people are cutting their service because of the economy - I can't tell you how many posts I've read this year stating exactly that. I would think he would understand - of course he won't like it but that's the reality of our world today....

Sounds like you'll still use him if you have any big issues come up, and weekly service is often just a loss-leader in order to get those service jobs. Let him know he's done great work, you'll call him "as-needed", and then blame your wife for asking you to do more work to save money. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.