What are the quantities you use?

Sep 13, 2009
What are the quantities you use for a 20 x 40 inground pool for the BBB method. Im really done with all the trips and costs of chemicals. Due to the large amounts of rain we had this season, my pool kept tinting green. They told me it was because of the metal/copper in the water. Then come to find out the guy who sells the pool chemicals doesnt use what he sell he uses EZ-Pool. Is there also a closing formula using the BBB method since it is now time for me to close the pool :(

help
and Thanks

It's going to be hard to compare different pools chem usage even between pools the samee size. However in our 13000 gallon pool we use about 48 oz of Chlorine per day. The CYA is 50 and the TA is 80, CH 90, I keep our FC at about 7 and use the Liquidator to add the Chlorine. I add a little MA (muratic Acid) every couple of weeks.

I am using 3 qts of bleach a day and 2 cups of MA once or twice a week. 23,000 gallon pool in Houston. CYA 50, pH 7.7, TA 90 and trying to reduce that slowly.

Pool temp 83-86, turning cool here and lots of rain.

monabell1 said:
What are the quantities you use for a 20 x 40 inground pool for the BBB method. Im really done with all the trips and costs of chemicals. Due to the large amounts of rain we had this season, my pool kept tinting green. They told me it was because of the metal/copper in the water. Then come to find out the guy who sells the pool chemicals doesnt use what he sell he uses EZ-Pool. Is there also a closing formula using the BBB method since it is now time for me to close the pool :(

help
and Thanks

EZ pool is a copper-based pool product.

They told you your water would tint green after rain, because of metals? I don't believe that is the case at all....95% of the time its a lack of adequate chlorine levels. :wink:

You don't say how deep your pool is, but the average pool loses 1-2 ppm of bleach per day. If your pool is an average of 6 ft deep - that would be up to 1 small jug of bleach 6% per day. Guestimate approximately $1.50 per day and multiply that times the number of days in your season and that would be an approximate cost for BBB. (For comparison's sakes). My pool is smaller than yours but I usually spend $60-75 for the entire season. IF you have few swimmers and keep the solar blanket on when the pool is not in use, your usage may be less than 2ppm.

For closing your pool - make sure your water is balanced, and then you just raise it up to shock level to close it. It's that simple. :)

If you post a full set of test results, we can help you determine if your water is balanced.

Are you testing the water yourself or do you go to the pool store?

My pool is 24 ft round...4 ft deep...basically 13500 gallons...I use between 48 and 64 ounces of 12 percent chlorine per day...when My pool is uncovered all day long and all night long...when I keep solar blanket on...I use may 64 ounces ever three of four days.

In the winter...Just balance bring up to shock level, and then cover it up! It truly is that simple as poolmom said.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.