Closing: Where do I dispose of the sand AND, do I backwash?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
OK, I've had my new ABG pool up since June. I use the BBB and have had no issues at ALL. In fact, I did not backwash my filter all season. The pressure quage never came close to indicating it was needed and my pool sparkled with an occasional vacuum and regular chlorine maintenance.

Time to close.

1 - I should remove the sand and clean out the filter container, correct? Any reason to keep the sand in there? I'm guessing there's no need to backwash since I'm emptying the sand out.

2 - where do I dispose of the sand? I don't need it anywhere on my property.

3 - any recommendations on the brand, and store, for buying a mesh cover?

18' round pool in Southeastern, PA

Leave the sand in the filter. I would replace the sand when you replace the filter (hopefully many years from now). I would reccomend backwashing before closing the pool just incase your guage is wrong. Backwashing will help ensure that the filter drains properly when the drain cap is removed.

Thanks guys. The water has been crystal lear all summer, so I'm betting the gauge is ok. But I do agree with backwashing end of the season, especially since I'm getting more debris in the pool now, then I did during the summer. Fall is coming early my friends ; ) But I want to keep the pool open at least until November, though not for swimming. Just to keep the water clear as long as I can.

thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.