pool cleaner not same as filtering

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
When my Polaris 360 is running, the DE filter pressure goes to 0, so there is far less filtering happening “through the DE filter" vs. when the Polaris is off.

Lets say my pump needs to run for an 8-hour segment daily.

On a day I wish to run the Polaris- lets say I want the Polaris going for 2 hours- when the Polaris is done at the 2-hour-mark, there only remains 6 hours. Do I need to be sure that the filter (no Polaris running) runs 2 more hours so it gets the necessary 8hrs through the DE filter?

Thanks

19,800 gallon pool divided by 360 (minutes in 6 hours) says that you need a pump that flows about 55 gpm to turn over your water in a six hour period. The 1 hp WhisperFlo runs close to 100 gpm, so you should be more than fine.

Bruce

Thanks guys.
Bruce,
1- You say “The 1 hp WhisperFlo runs close to 100 gpm, so you should be more than fine.”
Do you get that from my signature or how do you know?

2- Makes no difference if "turnover" goes thru the DE filter or the cleaner's filter? That filter in the cleaner’s clear canister ( at the pump area) is adequate?

Duraleigh
My usual psi is 10-12, indicated for cleaning at about 18psi. I do actually see water flow at the skimmer indicating the skimmer (& drain I assume) are still in-taking (obviously, the Polaris is working). Duraleigh, check your pm when time allows.

Johnny B said:
Thanks guys.
Bruce,
1- You say “The 1 hp WhisperFlo runs close to 100 gpm, so you should be more than fine.”
Do you get that from my signature or how do you know?

2- Makes no difference if "turnover" goes thru the DE filter or the cleaner's filter? That filter in the cleaner’s clear canister ( at the pump area) is adequate?

I did look at your signature to see what pump you were running, and I looked at a flow chart from there. Even if you had a 3/4 HP pump you'd be pushing enough water to handle a 6 hour turnover rate.

The pool cleaner (Polaris) is not a filter, so I would give little, if any, value to it. It will hold the big pieces of debris that it picks up but it won't really filter anything other than that.

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.