Deck ideas

Hayseed:

Are you doing this work yourself or hiring a contractor. Decks require footings and there are codes on fencing and other safety issues that come into play. I was looking at a pool that was half way in the ground (AGP) with a deck. It was the depth that steered me to an inground pool with 8' so a diving board can be installed.

Based on the shape of your pool, I would recommend building a deck that follows the contour of the pool. Do you have pictures of the pool and near by areas? Thanks!

You may already know about it, but since I had a decent idea what I wanted concerning the design, I went to the Lowe's Deck Designer web site and used their online tool. It doesn't require you to download any software or put in your email address. Just add whatever features you'd like, choose the materials (like pre-treated lumber, Trex, etc) and click on the materials list to get an estimate how much they would cost. It doesn't have many advanced tools but for simple designs, cut-outs, shapes, etc it's not too bad.

IMG_0442b.jpg

As a middle aged man who is married and has kids, my inner voice tells me to build decks and to build them as large as possible it's really kind of a primal instinct.

For above ground pools matching the deck to the curve of the pool seems to always be a good design choice as it helps tie all the lines together visually.

I like decks that work with the landscaping in the yard rather than forcing the landscape into a rectangular shape to fit the deck.

The options for decks are endless when it comes to design, it really comes down to how good you are at carpentry and what you are willing to spend.

I'm putting a deck around part of our new 24' AGP right now. I'm running the decking parallel with the top rails and flush with the top. I'm leaving enough room to get the winter cover on as well as to remove the top caps and rails for liner replacement. I only have one of three segments done, but will have much more done Saturday. I'll post some pics of it then. It won't be huge, only 6' wide around three segments of the pool, but I also built a large covered patio beside the pool for seating and entertaining.

Still in progress.
b0f427cc955ed0fd082df2705229baf0.jpg
3cba31944020c9bd589c2f1a7b028896.jpg
3529b7630e71d006d9da98f0e6060e9b.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just popping in to recommend Pinterest. There are some really beautiful AGP decks there!

Thanks for the ideas. I saw a deck that was built out over the top of the pool, flush with the inner wall of pool. It really looked sharp. But that was the only one I saw, for obvious reasons. I don't know how they would get the rail off to change liner. I will check out the Lowes thing but computers and the way they work are like pools I no nothing. I love the look of the newly installed wooden decks, but shortly they turn gray and ugly

You may already know about it, but since I had a decent idea what I wanted concerning the design, I went to the Lowe's Deck Designer web site and used their online tool. It doesn't require you to download any software or put in your email address. Just add whatever features you'd like, choose the materials (like pre-treated lumber, Trex, etc) and click on the materials list to get an estimate how much they would cost. It doesn't have many advanced tools but for simple designs, cut-outs, shapes, etc it's not too

you failed to mention you need certain things loaded on to your computer to be able to use this software.

Hayseed:

Are you doing this work yourself or hiring a contractor. Decks require footings and there are codes on fencing and other safety issues that come into play. I was looking at a pool that was half way in the ground (AGP) with a deck. It was the depth that steered me to an inground pool with 8' so a diving board can be installed.

Based on the shape of your pool, I would recommend building a deck that follows the contour of the pool. Do you have pictures of the pool and near by areas? Thanks!

I am not so young nor so rich.

If you click on the link in my signature "photos of 2016 build" it will bring you to pictures of my deck that does what you are talking about. It goes over the top rail and the edge is right above the water. I can't post any photos from where I am at the moment.

As for liner changes with my deck, I have a beaded liner so you can change the liner without having to pull the top rail off the pool.

Wood does turn grey in the sun it's a fact of life. To maintain the color of the wood you will need to use a stain or sealer on a regular basis.

Has there been many members here that have used the concrete dek blocks that are placed on top of ground, instead of digging hole and pour concrete. I may soon sell my house, and it be would nice if new owner decided against a pool, the concrete pours would not be embedded in the ground. I am taking about above ground decks, that are four and half feet tall. I have read of a few examples of people using these. There have been pros and cons some say the heaving is to much while a lot of people even in Wisconsin have said heaving of ground was no problem. I live in WV, it gets cold but not too, too cold.
i am not sure of my state building codes on these things and there use. Just curious. The more input and data I receive on this the better, because I am leaning this way. I probably will need around 15 holes in total, lot of digging

Mr bfromnc, I noticed your cgi deck, and all the super hefty and numerous columns, underneath it. You don't have to be to smart to figure out, that this company is in the business of selling wood. Man! That deck could double as a helicopter pad.

I have been searching these above grade concrete blocks, and their ususge. Found a site that referred me to this site. Their are plenty of postings covering this subject right here on this web site, to bad web site does not help much in directing those looking for these things. In any case I found that using these blocks are for decks 30 inches or less. That leaves me back to digging every hole by hand near to 16 or 17. I put a forty foot fence on my lot, used a gasoline post hole digger. I hit so many rocks. Three times the spiral digging blades went in got wrapped around a big rock and got stuck. Would not go in anymore or back out. I had to dig the thing out with. Pick and shovel. My back yard is nothing but top soil on top of boulders and rock.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.