Salt Water Systems - info please

lm3

I have a zodiac LM3 unit and I really like that:
-I can run it at 3000-4000 ppm salt. I'm assuming that is why I can run it on a lower setting and it keeps my chlorine at 4-5.
-I can see through the plastic casing. I love watching it work. I'm geek-y that way. Plus you can see if it has any buildup or "stuff" stuck in it.
-It still produces chlorine in the winter even thought the water temp is 40 degrees. I don't know why it works. The manual says it won't, but it does.

The one time I did have a question that pb could not answer, I called the zodiac people. I'm not impressed with customer service. The person I talked with did not really seem to understand the unit very well. I guess they not used to people like me (non-builders) who want to know EVERYTHING about the pool process. HA!

The question was about the pump timer. Since the LM3 doesn't have a timer, when the pump turns off automatically, does the SWG turn off or still make chlorine. PB said don't worry, it won't work if there is no water moving through it. But, since the unit is see through I could see it would continue working for a few seconds after the water quit moving through. I was worried it would explode. So I called Zodiac. She couldn't understand why I wasn't running my pump 24/7, but said it would be ok. I'm still not sure about that.

Edit--Also, I don't get ph rise. It stabilizes at 7.6-7.8. I've added a cup of acid once in 2.5 months.

Vejadu

I have the Zodiac LM2, it shuts down when my pump shuts down. The electrician wired it into my pump timer. I don't think its supposed to have power without the pump running. Also, you may want to email the Canadian Zodiac people, they have been really good with any questions I have emailed/called about. Normally for email a response within 24/48hrs. www.zpc.ca.

vejadu,

The cell still generating (bubbling) is residual power discharging off the blades. Think of the cell as a battery. When you energize it, it stores a charge. When the pump turns off, the cell discharges and eventually stops after a few seconds.
It's nothing to worry about. There's not enough hydrogen generated to cause any problems.

self-cleaning LM2?

Like Caustik I like seeing what's going on inside the LM-2. I see posts from people who say they have to clean their other brand cells frequently. Do I really need to? I don't see any build-up. The plates look clean and smooth. I have occasionally caught it in its reverse action, so it must be doing whatever it's supposed to do. Is that enough? Should I be taking it apart as people with other brands are doing (even when they too are supposedly self-cleaning)? Is there more I should be looking for inside the cell?
Thanks,
BL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.