Any new info about Intex Crystal Clear SWGs?

pabeader

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 14, 2015
Cartersville Ga
I've been reading reviews and there seem to be a lot of folks that love them for a few days. Then the unit starts throwing "high salt" alarms. Just wondering if any of the folks around here have had good or bad experiences with them?
My pool, which i still haven't got up yet!!!, has one and I'm wondering if it's worth the time/effort to set it up?

Hello pabeader,
I'm scratching my head with your same questions
:confused:
In my first season (2017) I've bought a Intex SWG Model 28662,
clorinatore 28662.jpg
but did not have time to set it up.
With the new season just around the corner time has come to unpack the device and give it a try.
I've gone through all the rewievs on amazon.com (as usual ) and had your same feeling :
when it works it does its job pretty well but there is also plenty of customers that had a lot of troubles with
different alarms and codes (i.e. 90, 91, 92, low salt, high salt, and so on ).
For this reason being a few days away from using it I'm really worried, I hope I will have good luck with my device !!!

- - - Updated - - -

I've also read that I've to take off the "copper stuff" ...
Shall I just unplug it ? Do I need to do anything else ?

I'm in my 3rd or 4th year using the Intex SWG. I use it to supplement my liquid chlorine additions.

It's been great for me. I dial up the run time if I'm going to be away a few days and it keeps the pool's chlorine at an adequate level even though it's undersized for my pool.

As for the reviews, keep in mind that the people writing them may (probably?) not have the proper test kit and the high salt/low salt alarms could very well be justified.

[Edit]

Wow, 4 posts in 9 years. Guess I'll see you guys again in 2020. :D

Last edited:
Hello cdjos :),
First of all thanks for replying, then : Do you have my same model ?
If so should I be aware of anything before operating the swg ?
I've heard that SWG increases the PH causing the owner to adjust frequently the PH levels . . .
If so this is a very bad cons because in my first pool season I never ever had to adjust PH,
it was stable and ok for all the summer .
If this issue was real, by operating the SWG, I would only replace one operation (adding manually chlorine) with a new one (adding manually muriatic acid) ... If so for me operating the swg would be again time consuming and not worth the effort :confused:

On my other pool we had a Hayward style SWG and I never had an issue with rising pH. When I first took over the pool I needed to use quite a bit of MA to get the TA down to where the pH stabilized. Once I got the sweet spot I really never saw a rise from the SWG. Occasionally, I would get some rise from the returns being pointed up and breaking the surface. The wife likes to hear the water splash. :)

I have this one and love how easy my pool is to take care of.

My pH has been 7.4 since last July. Through hurricanes, tropical storms, and enough rain to probably totally replace my water at least once. I did have a little algae this year, under the seams of my liner. Other than that, no issues. I used liquid chlorine (4 gallons) for the slam, but that's it. I had to add salt, and baking soda but my SWG has performed wonderful and I haven't had any issues with pH rise.

Have had mine since 2016. No problems. I got a low salt warning once. Tested with my Taylor K-1766 salt kit... and salt was low!

Keep in mind that most people who are happy with what they purchased just go about their business and don’t run around writing reviews. I didn’t.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've have a previous model for 3 seasons and loved it
28669_prd_2016_web_7.jpg
... this summer it constantly gives us low salt errors, even though the salt tests between 2500 and 3500. The plates appear to be worn out (they've been soaked in vinegar frequently throughout their life, soaking them now will remove the calcium build up but they appear to be worn out since we cannot get the old unit to run with them in place).

We purchased the new version from Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and it immediately says high salt. Ordered new test strips (Aquacheck) and the salt was actually about 2700. Amazon has sent us another unit and we are returning the 1st one. New unit has a manufacture date just 2 days later than the first and has the same false High Salt error.

Had to use pucks in a floater to keep CL up while out of town for 10 days.... which of course raised the CYA to around 100. After draining 20% of the pool and refilling we tried the new unit with very low salt (still error-ed as high salt), adding salt to 3000ppm and it again errors as high salt.

The titanium plates are the same as from the previous model, amazingly they work flawlessly in the older SWCG unit. But in the new unit they will only give a high salt warning immediately and will not run. We've decided to keep the last unit from amazon and use the plates in the older SWCG since it's actually cheaper than buying replacement plates from Intex (Titanium electrode $63, ECO electrode $39, shipping $25 = $126).

As for PH rising, our fill water is very high in TA so we are normally fighting rising PH until we can get the TA down. After that its usually just a slow creep up on the PH, I just have to add a little dry acid once a week or so.

I just bought another plate for my old one (the one that throws LOW SALT errors when the electrode goes bad) - just put it in yesterday but it seems to be working fine. Make sure you get the right part that matches your generator because they are slightly different! The all in one set is not the same as the stand alone model. (hence why I only have one day on my new plate and not a full week, sigh)

I have the new one. I'm returning it. It immediately threw high salt warnings and would not run.
I got the proper test kits and the salt was SLIGHTLY high (and this was about 2 weeks after adding salt, so plenty of time for evaporation.)
Drained a little, added new water...multiple tests confirmed salt was just about perfect- STILL high salt alarm.
My question is...order another different model? Order another brand? Or stick with chlorine.
Salt is supposed to be easier, but anything this tempermental is not easy! :/

I have the new one. I'm returning it. It immediately threw high salt warnings and would not run.
I got the proper test kits and the salt was SLIGHTLY high (and this was about 2 weeks after adding salt, so plenty of time for evaporation.)
Drained a little, added new water...multiple tests confirmed salt was just about perfect- STILL high salt alarm.
My question is...order another different model? Order another brand? Or stick with chlorine.
Salt is supposed to be easier, but anything this tempermental is not easy! :/

Personally I advocate for trying a few and returning bad ones so Intex gets the freaking message and fixes the situation. I do know that is a real pain to deal with them and it more for the "greater good" than for your self, but I thought I would throw it out there. Unfortunately there isn't much else out there in the price range. When Intex gets it right they do ingenious things for a great price, but they do get stuff wrong and their customer service and return policies are not the easiest to deal with.

I'd like to operate the SWG by an external digital timer,
does the external timer override the built-in one ?
Let's say I want to run my SWG for 30 minutes only can I do it by using the external timer ?
Yes. When powered on by an external timer, the SWG will come on immediately and run for whatever time period the internal timer is set for. It will do this every time it is powered up, multiple times per day if you like.

Yes. When powered on by an external timer, the SWG will come on immediately and run for whatever time period the internal timer is set for. It will do this every time it is powered up, multiple times per day if you like.

Directly from the amazon review of the 2018 Model
"I have one issue with this new updated system. The power button is now a digital button instead of a physical switch on the back of the unit. Why does this matter? If you have your system hooked up to a timer that turns the power on and off daily, this new updated unit will not turn back on automatically when power is turned on. You must press the power button EVERY DAY to get it to run. This is a huge hassle that defeats the purpose of the timer. The old model with a physical power switch would turn back on when power was turned on through the timer. The only way to make this work like before is to exclude this system from the timer, and only have your filter pump on a timer. If you maintain power to this saltwater system 24/7 then it will turn back on everyday at the same time. This is a huge mistake Intex made in my opinion when redesigning this system , such a hassle to make work now (especially when your smart timer blocks the other adjacent outlet!) Minus 1 star rating for this."

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.