I have the solution (3/18) and I tried two separate times (mixes) to get a 50 reading this weekend. I tried in the middle of the yard, next to a white PVC fence to get more reflected light, and in the shade under a tree. Every time I had the same reading, at 50 line I could still see the dot. Only went away at 40. My son also looked and confirmed my readings.

I found an old thread on my phone that I can't seem to find now. It said to find a spot where you get 50 and test there. Couldn't find one.

If you read my original post, I have to hold the tube not in front of me, but beside me. Move into sun, shade, different sides, heights until you get the 50 reading.

It is according to the measured 50ppm reference solution. I have done that test twice now. I'd love for someone else to get and test it.

R-7065 CYA Standard 50 ppm (2 ounces)

No it's not. You say you'd love to have someone get the Standard Solution and test? I've got it and done that as I've already stated. My results match Taylor's results, not yours.

Taylor shows very clearly what the dot should look like. It's not what you show. They also have an instructional video showing how to do the test.

You guys can do it different but at least be clear you aren't following Taylor's methods. The subject is confusing enough already.

No it's not. You say you'd love to have someone get the Standard Solution and test? I've got it and done that as I've already stated. My results match Taylor's results, not yours.

Taylor shows very clearly what the dot should look like. It's not what you show. They also have an instructional video showing how to do the test.

You guys can do it different but at least be clear you aren't following Taylor's methods. The subject is confusing enough already.

You mean these instructions? Why Monitor Cyanuric Acid?

That has good pictures showing the dot at beginning, middle and end of test. They also make an instructional video showing them actually doing the test. They do one for all their tests actually. Might be easier to find on youtube than their website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The whole point of the standard is to perform the test so that you see 50. That could mean changing: sunlight/distance/time of day etc. In my OP, I have to hold the test tube at my side at waist height to get a reading of 50.

The whole point of the standard is to perform the test so that you see 50. That could mean changing: sunlight/distance/time of day etc. In my OP, I have to hold the test tube at my side at waist height to get a reading of 50.

So you are saying I did everything right on my test accept for they way I look at it?

If you followed the instructions properly, but do not get 50, then yes, change until you get 50.

I looked indoors and outdoors. I looked in different light. Others have done the same. It has made no difference in the dot, it neither fades out nor gets stronger. So is it logical to look at it the way it appears to just about every person that has tested the standard solution and adjust my readings on my actual pool to match what we see? You see my pics, that is an accurate representation of what I am seeing with the standard solution. I have found no way to make the dot disappear at 50. Again, the same as many others who have tested the standard solution. I think the point of the standard solution is for the operator to see what a measured 50ppm solution looks like when mixed with reagent to compare that with their pool water.

Did you change the sunlight factor outside e.g. holding the tube to the side or higher or lower?

My question is "why?". I see no point in pretzeling myself when I now know what to look for in the same controlled conditions that I always use when testing CYA.

I would not call holding the tube to my side, "pretzeling" myself. The choice is obviously yours. I only wanted to verify and that is why I test the way I do.

I spoke to a technician at Taylor last week and was told that the cya measurement is not extremely critical and that between 30 and 50 is great. In addition to cya level you must also consider the burn rate of your chlorine in the sun. If you have passed an OCLT and are using a lot of chlorine in the sunlight and your cya is less than 50 then add a little CYA at a time but do not exceed 50 ppm. He believes that there a is a diminishing return at cya levels above 50 ppm.

Now as far as the accuracy of the test, 10 ppm is not going to change anything a great deal. And in reality the test is closer to 5 ppm accuracy if you call it the number that is closest to where the dot disappears. Add your cya a pound at a time or less, stop adding when it reaches or goes slightly over 50 and call it a day.

Mike.

I have found no way to make the dot disappear at 50. Again, the same as many others who have tested the standard solution.
Except Taylor can and does. So do others.

There's an interpretation subjectivity in this test but your results
point to a difference in test execution/procedure.

I looked indoors and outdoors. I looked in different light. Others have done the same. It has made no difference in the dot...

I find similar results as you, within a broad range lighting seems to be a minor factor.

But that's only one variable. For some reason that's all most people play with even though there are many other variables in the test procedure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.