Fas DPD Test residue

H2O_Keeper

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 8, 2008
SW Indiana
THroughout the season I have used the TF100 FAS-DPD test quite a bit. There is a black film that has formed on the vial and I was able to get most of it off with just water and wiping it down good. It still looks stained. I have the same black residue over the spoon for powder.

Can I use MA or something else safely to remove this residue (more concerned about the spoon being dissolved)?

What is turing things black?

Seems to me I read that straight bleach would also clean it up. I use the cylinder for dosing my spa (usually 10-30ml of 12.5%) maybe that's why I've never observed the problem, despite using FAS-DPD twice a day for the past six months or so.
--paulr

I was getting a residue buildup...cloudy looking...so I filled the testing vial with straight 6% bleach and let it soak for a half day or so. Read about it on another thread, with an explanation of why this happens. Cleared it up again. Now I'm rinsing the vial well after testing and wiping it dry inside with a clean paper towel. It's stayed clear since then. HTH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.