Help please!!!

Sep 11, 2009
I have a 15 x 42in soft side pool. The pump quit several weeks ago and as you can guess the water is terribly disgusting. I have not had the money to order another intex pump that is likely to Crud out too (seeing as there are a plethora of bad reviews on them) and managed to find a used pump from someone local. Well it quit too. Worked when we set it up and i go out this morning and the motor is running but no water is pumping...so the exact same thing my first pump did. So my question is this........I really don't have the funds available to order another pump........Will the pool itself be fine if I go ahead and drain it and store it dirty over the winter and then when i set it up next spring and hook up a new salt water pump just clean it thoroughly then? I at least shocked the heck out of the water and added a ton of algeacide to it so it's at least not green anymore but it's a really nasty cloudy color. And the mosquitos breeding in it are horrendous so I HAVE to do something about it.

Welcome to the forum, and bummer about the pumps.

I don't know whether it's harmful to store it dirty. But if the water's a mess when you dump it, I think I'd put at least some fresh water back in afterward as a kind of "rinse cycle," at a minimum try to hose down the insides and get some of the crud out, before putting it all away.
--paulr

It's not. I'm actually smart enough to have checked that ;) Put in a new one and everything. Sadly it seems as though Intex doesn't believe in making a quality product. If you google it, the reviews are horrible for these pumps.

Welcome to TFP!!

If the motor still runs, you can probably salvage it :) An air leak can cause lack of prime or a clogged impeller (as well as a clogged filter - but you say the cart is new). I'd see if you can't figure out why water isn't flowing through an operational pump before emptying the pool - there are lot's of pump savvy folks here to help you with this :cool:

I have the 2000 gal/hr intex pump/swg and have been more than a little surprised in it's performance. At this point, I would have no problem ordering another, especially at the prices they are being offered for at the end of the season. They seem to have made some improvements in the latest versions of the intex pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.