Yard speaker planning

SO here is my set up.

1. Wire- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2DRVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2- 4 Rock Speakers Niles--- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D70XE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. AMP-https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...tailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Speaker Selector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2GAZI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. Sonus Connect https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wirele...&qid=1528745099&sr=1-3&keywords=sonos+connect

Quick Review-

Crown Amp can be bridged.

Each speaker is on its own zone. I did this so I can control the volumn of each speaker

Sonus Connect- Use this for Spotify control from my phone.

Nile Speakers- The best sounding rock speakers out there for the price. Cant go wrong with these and are built to last.

So you do the Connect because you want Sonos and the external AMP so you can hard wire more than 2 Rock Speakers?

Think this the route I’ll go. Just trying to understand.

Why not just buy a bunch of Sonos Connect AMPs. They are a little pricey at about $500 each but they will do everything you want. They can be controlled individually or grouped together. If you forget a spot you can add a Sonos One speaker and add it into the array. We have had it for years and absolutely love it. We can control everything from our phones or tables, or even Alexa devices. Sonos has also announced a more powerful amp that should start shipping soon as well.

Or if you are willing to wait Amazon just announced an AMP like Sonos for $299. Don’t know how it will perform, but they also announced integration with Sonos which should be really cool.

I just picked up 4 of these for 57% off on Amazon in like new condition. I almost pulled the trigger the other day for $168/ea but held off and then today at $129/ea, I pulled the trigger. I was looking at speakers in a similar price range, but from what I've read these blow them away. Picked up some budget amps (xmp100) to run them, and speaker wire. Had $500 in gift cards lurking around since 2017 that I tossed at this for a dent of $285 after some other little goodies.

So.. I got my entry into my outdoor speaker system for $285 (cost to me) which includes:

4 - AWR-650-SM
2 - XMP100
250 ft - 16/4 (runs are ~50ft max)

Normally would be about $1500.. pretty good deal to me.

AWR650SMRockGrey_635043068521180000_medium.JPG

Finished this off with 3 chromecasts as follows:

1 Chromecast - 2x AWR-650-SM - Labeled "Spa"
1 Chromecast - 2x AWR-650-SM - Labeled "Patio"
1 Chromecast - 2x KHO-7 - Labeled "Deck"

Spa and Patio - Grouped as "Pool"
Spa, Patio, and Deck - Grouped as "Backyard"

Beyond outdoors, the nice thing about chromecast groupings is it can include Google Home devices as well.

Spa, Patio, Deck, and Kitchen - Grouped as "Whole house"

Group delay between the nodes has not been adjusted, it seems to be well matched. Each chromecasts volume can be adjusted independently within a group or the group can be adjusted as a whole. ie Spa at 70% Patio at 40%, if I turn up Pool, they maintain that ratio.

We're a spotify house.. open the app on any device and cast to a speaker, group, whatever. Or, say, "Hey google, play * on [device name]" and that works as well. If only there was an outdoor or weather proof google home... It'd be great to voice assistant from in the pool to change songs, raise volume, etc!!!

I just take an Amazon Tap to the edge of the pool for the remote control device. That way I can yell at it to skip songs, or turn off lights. When we get out of the pool just put it back on its charger.

I just installed a very simple system for my backyard / patio used the following

1- Sonos Boost
1- Sonos Connect
1- Sonos Play 3 (patio)
1- Crown amp (XLS 1502)
2- Crestron Air Wall mounted speakers facing towards the pool
2- JBL control 88M ( 1 at each end of pool) LOVE THESE!

Sounds great! And have great coverage while in the pool and behind the pool when sitting by fire pit from the JBL’s

Since it's now winter and I'm also in the process of planning out and collecting materials for my outdoor setup figured I'd share my setup:

Source: Integra DTR 30.4 receiver INTEGRA DTR-30.4 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts THX Networking A/V Receiver | Accessories4less (this is a great buy!)
Amp: Crown XLS1500 to power subwoofer(s) - may add a second to power additional subwoofers later XLS 1500 | Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers
Deck/Patio speakers: 2 pair of OSD AP850s OSD Audio AP850 Outdoor Patio Speakers Pair (Note: I've been buying these open box through their ebay store at a deep discount!)
Pool speakers: 3 pair of OSD RS850s Outdoor Rock Speaker OSD Audio RS850 (Note: Also have bought these through ebay store at a very nice price!)
Subwoofer: So far I have collected a JBL SB210 outdoor sub for the deck area, looking to add 1-2 more of these around the covered areas of the yard as I can found through ebay, etc. Control SB210 Products | JBL Professional

Speaker selector: Monoprice 8-Channel Speaker Selector - Monoprice.com

The patio/deck speakers along with the receiver and speaker selector are setup and functional now. I've run the outdoor portion of the wires for the majority of the pool speakers before the landscaping went in about a month or so back. I've now just to make the runs to the speaker selector indoor and finally place the rock speakers and subs outside once spring breaks. :)

Reactions: SeaNile31
Since it's now winter and I'm also in the process of planning out and collecting materials for my outdoor setup figured I'd share my setup:

Source: Integra DTR 30.4 receiver INTEGRA DTR-30.4 7.2-Ch x 100 Watts THX Networking A/V Receiver | Accessories4less (this is a great buy!)
Amp: Crown XLS1500 to power subwoofer(s) - may add a second to power additional subwoofers later XLS 1500 | Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers
Deck/Patio speakers: 2 pair of OSD AP850s OSD Audio AP850 Outdoor Patio Speakers Pair (Note: I've been buying these open box through their ebay store at a deep discount!)
Pool speakers: 3 pair of OSD RS850s Outdoor Rock Speaker OSD Audio RS850 (Note: Also have bought these through ebay store at a very nice price!)
Subwoofer: So far I have collected a JBL SB210 outdoor sub for the deck area, looking to add 1-2 more of these around the covered areas of the yard as I can found through ebay, etc. Control SB210 Products | JBL Professional

Speaker selector: Monoprice 8-Channel Speaker Selector - Monoprice.com

The patio/deck speakers along with the receiver and speaker selector are setup and functional now. I've run the outdoor portion of the wires for the majority of the pool speakers before the landscaping went in about a month or so back. I've now just to make the runs to the speaker selector indoor and finally place the rock speakers and subs outside once spring breaks. :)

nice finds!

i am pretty upset regarding the sub count for u. :)

nice finds!

i am pretty upset regarding the sub count for u. :)

Haha! I'll start with the JBLs but you will be happy to know I've been throwing around some DIY outdoor horn ideas on AVS - looking at multiple 18s in folded horn enclosures tuned to ~30hz or so. I'll definitely be experimenting with some designs but the JBLs should hold me over until I get the experiments up and running.

I also have a few extra Crown XLS2000s that could be put to good use as well. :)

Haha! I'll start with the JBLs but you will be happy to know I've been throwing around some DIY outdoor horn ideas on AVS - looking at multiple 18s in folded horn enclosures tuned to ~30hz or so. I'll definitely be experimenting with some designs but the JBLs should hold me over until I get the experiments up and running.

I also have a few extra Crown XLS2000s that could be put to good use as well. :)

nuts. Lol. I just want to get my 4 incieling rounds in so I have music under the pool house at least.

I really want to save and go with the triad array they have out now. I just can’t wrap my head around the ridiculous price though so most likely it will be nuvo. I can’t come up with an excuse to even justify the price they want.

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.