For People That Have Grass Around Their In-Ground Pool...

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I am removing my concrete deck around my pool. I almost replaced it with all pavers (came soooo close), but before I pulled the trigger I wanted to consider one another option...Grass. It would be 1/10th the cost and from pictures that I've seen of grass pool decks, you can make it look almost as nice with the right landscaping.

So, my question is for those of you that have grass (or grass and shrubs) all around your in-ground pool, rather than traditional concrete or stone (or if you've seen a pool like this in person), do you:
a) Like It?
b) Love It?
c) Hate?
d) Tolerate It, But Wish You Had Concrete or Stone?

Thanks!

I am on my second I/G pool with grass surround. (The first was built in 1946, before I was born.) I love it, as long as you don't have frequent use by the 5-14 year old block. Splash out plus pounding by little feet around exit points equals quagmire. My old man would put down a sheet of plywood by the ladder during pool parties to save the grass. The pros are a cool, soft surface immune to drink spills and a look that I prefer. My pool builder thought I was nuts but we have had the new one since 2004 and everyone approves. (My kids are 18-28, so I don't have the quagmire problem, yet.)

For a mostly adult-use pool, I think its ideal. Great care needs to be taken to keep fertilizer out of the pool: I apply in Spring and Fall only when pool is covered. You need to run the skimmers every time you mow. I have had some settling around the deep end (a few inches) that I will have to build up. A deck would have covered this.

P.S. My Springer is trained not to dump inside the pool enclosure, and this is a non-housebroken (kennel/outside) dog.

Beez said:
Interesting idea, but just to clarify, you're talking about grass that goes right up to the coping around the pool?

Absolutely. The old pool, being steel, had a only a 1.5" pipe for coping, so there was a 12" concrete strip around the pool, basically the same thing. The new one is just the tile coping about 2" above the grass, so that crud doesn't wash in.

Durk said:
Absolutely. The old pool, being steel, had a only a 1.5" pipe for coping, so there was a 12" concrete strip around the pool, basically the same thing. The new one is just the tile coping about 2" above the grass, so that crud doesn't wash in.
Interesting, I'll have to consider this for an intermediate step between replacing my existing deck.

My existing deck is broken and uplifted, and what I really want is a nice paver installation. But until I can afford it, the grass approach might be better than the existing concrete deck...

Thanks for the input,
:cheers:
Dave

Here is my first attempt at a photo post on this site...wish me luck.....Geronimo!

3907267603_43baf6a651.jpg

The old pool never made it into digital pictures.

Edit: Whew, it worked!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
X-PertPool said:
If you put a cover on your pool for the winter it might kill the grass, and also wouldn't really be ideal for a safety cover (they sell ground pipe anchor thingies but they aren't perfect)

I just fold my cover from the edge of the coping back toward the pool--a double water tube then fits perfectly on top of the tile coping and the grass is uncovered. A safety cover would not work, but I wouldn't want one anyway.

The concept idea does look really nice. I am a little prejudiced for concrete. I just paid for my new pool concrete, plus a few years ago my kids asked Santa Claus for concrette around the house. We are just amazed that we have concrete. I know, it sounds silly.

I think that although the look of all grass is nice, it is not so user friendly. I do really like the low hedge of shrubs that hides the pool cover, that is a super idea.

I see some very high traffic pathways.... diving board, slide, table and chairs. I also see a grill, a picnic table, also things that need better footing in the dark. Can you sit on those chairs in the grass and not poke so far into the ground that the chair tips? Some chairs have a bar across the bottom so it distributes the weight but others are more like a ladies high heel, concentrating the weight on a tiny space which means it sinks in damp ground. Depends on how wide the foot of the chair leg is.

When the diving board is in use, do kids jump in, get out and do it again? You need a pathway from the access point (steps) to the board. Ditto for the slide; if they slide, get out and run right back you will have a muddy path and muddy, slippery ladder. I see that one as a safety issue.

With 3 sides of the pool subjected to high traffic, assuming that the diving board and the slide are used, I think you will regret having grass there. Wet grass just does not stand up to traffic well.

I have to leave the concrete decking to go to the pool equipment and in the winter when we get a lot of rain I have to wear clogs because the mud squishes up between my toes on the path I have worn over to the pad around the corner. In the summer the grass recovers but I have to knock off the weekly grass clippings before I get back into the pool or go in the house. I only go over there maybe once every other day, round trip, maybe twice if I have to turn stuff off then on again. Still way less than a few kids using the diving board or slide.

Now, on the other hand, is there any chance that things can move? Diving board obviously has to stay there if it stays but he slide could go to the other side which would bunch those things together on the same bit of concrete and then if the steps are on that side as well you could leave the far side grassy. Then you can bunch the grill and tables together near whatever walkway there is to the house. I can't see where the house is but I guess that photo is from an upper window so the hedge will block the view of the pool from the house, not a good thing sometimes if you worry about seeing the kids there.

I'd probably want to have the grill very close to the house, the picnic table near that, then the nicer table alongside the pool. The nicer table needs a good footing as most of those chairs will need it, but the picnic table can be on grass. Most of all, I'd be very careful about how it looks from the house, since for a lot of the year you only get to look at the pool, not actually get in it. When I do landscape designs I usually stop at the main living area windows and plan out ways I'd want it to be seen from there, then go out and work out how that can be done.

Thanks for the response!

Welp...right now there's no little kiddos getting in and out yet (except for the occasional visit of the nieces and nephews), so I don't think the high traffic will be much of an issue, but you make a good point and I've been thinking of that myself. I'm thinking flag stone walkways (each stone placed ~6" apart) in the high traffic areas. Also, long term if it becomes a problem, I can always put 3' of pavers along the pool edges. I don't want to do that yet though, because if I did that I'd want to put in a stone coping, but that would break the budget (the coping is 3K alone).

For under the patio set, I may put pavers down, in part due also to mowing issues. But another option is that, there is a very good chance I'll be putting a deck in from where the camera is. If so, I may move the patio set there (along with the grill).

With flagstones set 6" apart you may have a lot of edging to do. I don't know about your grass, I don't see your location, but our St Augustine grass sends out runners over stones and has to be weedwacked along each edge. What a pain. Maybe your grass is better behaved.

I had a walkway made of stepping stones at one point (different house, no pool), got tired of the grass runners then filled in between with creeping thyme which didn't need edging. Got tired of tiny weeds in that and pulled that all and poured concrete with a pea gravel finish. Concrete is really not that expensive and is fast compared to setting a base then leveling a bunch of pavers.

I do like the deck idea. Do be careful that it is not too high, we have critters living under our screen porch right now because there was room for them to ease under it. Saw a baby raccoon come out late this spring. I don't know if it is possum or raccoon or armadillo right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.