Chlorine reading is red!

Ronan

Jul 18, 2009
Help. I'm drowning with a problem with my tiny 1 meter deep pool for my kids. After some pump issues and a replacement pump being fitted, a week of working to get the water sparkling again and the green cloudiness out, I've a beautiful looking pool. My problem is that when I do the simple chlorine test by adding the 5 drops, it turns very yellow and then red. Blood red!! I am using the chlorine test drops correctly and not the ph test drops. Any ideas???

Welcome to TFP!!

Your chlorine level is 'through the roof' :shock: Stop adding chlorine for now and let the levels drift down. Also - with chlorine that high your pH test is probably showing higher than it actually is (the excessive chlorine is messing with the colors of both the tests)

If you want to know ~ how high the cl level is you can dilute the pool water with distilled water (or any other water known not to have ANY chlorine in it) - it's easy to do if you use shot glasses so a search for 'shotglass method' should give you some info :)

If my kids peeing in the pool is resulting in the red chlorine test then the pool is the least of my problems!

Thanks for your answers/questions.....

Yes it is a new pump just installed but surely it is only circulating and can't be adding anything to the water.

The chlorine test kit is the one I've always used and has always had "readable" readings in the past.

I stopped adding chlorine 8 days ago and the sun has been brilliant (34 celcius) since so if it were simply the cl being too high, surely the sun would be kicking it back by now?

Ta again for further input.

I was thinking that you were seeing the dark color then a shift due to reading first high chlorine, then reading combined chlorine. (I am still hoping a por will be along as I am out of my depth here)

The combined chlorine would be a natural result from having just gotten past the green algae stage. The green algae was probably due to the pump issues, I may have skipped over that part and just noticed the pool and kids part. (wet suits are so very hard to get off so kids will often just pee in the pool)

I wouldn't bet on the cl coming down very quickly if you had enough to kill the algae bloom, given the kit you have :)

Forget the pee, it'll only help you lower the cl :p

Somehow you overdosed the cl :( It can be helped to lower by letting the kids pee in the pool - but we don't advise that :lol:

Again, a GOOD kit would be able to tell us better what's going on :cool:

We also don't have your other numbers (especially cya)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.