Stabiliser question

Jul 8, 2007
Montreal
I added about 1kg of stabilizer around the pool last night and I notice that some of it did not disolve....I can see the granules along the bottom of the pool......Should I disolve it in water next time or just pour it through the skimmer....thanks.. :-D

Stabilizer (CYA) can take up to a week to disolve. You probably won't be able to predisolve it completely. There are two common approaches to adding CYA. Either add it to the skimmer and then don't backwash for a week, or put it in a sock and put the sock in the skimmer or tied in front of a return.

CYA is acidic, so if it sits on the bottom in one place it could cause some damage. There isn't usually a problem if it is spread out, but it might be better to vacuum it into the filter and let it disolve there.

firefly, before adding more, give it a week like Jason suggested. If what you put in was adequate, just not yet dissolved, and you add more, you'll overshoot your CYA goal which can lead to problems you don't want to have :)

Hummm ....I did not think of that....like I said...i added about 1kg last night and when I did my test this morning.....The CYA part was not accurate so I guess I will wait about a week....thanks for the heads up....much appreciated.... :-D

When I added CYA, I measured it out and put it into a sock, the next day, the sock was almost completely full still, and I checked and my level was showing 35, it's been over a week and it is still reading 35 too, so I removed the sock. I am afraid to know what the level would have been had I not removed it.
So keep an eye on that level, and if it reaches where you want it before everything is dissolved, you might want to go ahead and vacuum what is left out. It is rare, and I could have made a mistake somewhere in the measuring, but I really do not think that I did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.