I love HDTV but I'm waiting to pull the trigger on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD until the prices come down on the combo units or it becomes clear who will win the format war (I'd put my money on Blu-Ray at this point).

42" Sony here, 1068I HD Plazma on the wall. Bit the bullet and got it for a superbowl party last year, to be brutally honest, other then it being on the wall with wires all hidden, the picture isnt that much better then my ole 35" regular tube model.

I agree with Kurt, Blu Ray will be the wave of the future, but will it go the way of the Beta?

Rik

HD-DVD was the initial leader but it looks like Blue-ray has surpased them now.

I am also waiting for prices to drop and / or a clear winner of the format war.

We have a 50" Sony Grand Wega (rear projection lcd). Now I'm envying my dad who just got the SXRD - beautiful picture.

I have a 65" HDTV, it is a rear projection. I have cable service with the HD delivery upgrade and their is a distint difference in the HD channels that get delivered and the regular channels.

We also have a monster power filter on all inputs, this has cleaned up the feed from reglar chanels compared to our flat screen sitting in same room with no filter. Thought it was just high dallar add to the system, but definitely well worth the expnse to add this monster power box.

Have not bit on the blue ray or hd dvd yet, will see what comes in the future.

Westinghouse 1080p LCD 42" monitor powered by DishNetwork HDTV DVR. Dish has more HD programming than anyone since they own Voom HD network and broadcast in 1080i. I am waiting to see how the bluray vs. HD-DVD plays out and waiting for prices to drop before upgrading my progressive scan DVD player. I am putting my money on Bluay but then again people were putting their money on Beta and VHS won out in the VCR war so it's hard to tell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bassadict69 said:
I look for Dish Network to add more around the same time. Surely they know Direct is coming with more HD & they don't want them catching up to them.

Dish has more national HD channels right now but not nearly as many locals in HD. Once the new DirecTV bird is operational (it launched a couple of weeks ago and should be operational by the end of September), DirecTV will pass by Dish in terms of national HD channels and will still have a big lead in the locals. Dish won't catch up for quite a while; they just don't have the bandwidth.

DaveNJ said:
FIOS is going to offered in the area this year. Any info pros, cons.

Verizon customer service is nothing amazing, until you compare it to Comcast which is the worst I have ever seen at any company. The FIOS picture quality is great. They don't compress as much as some of the others. Their DVR is probably the worst one out there, usable but more annoying than average. The pricing isn't anything special. I use FIOS Internet, which is totally amazing, best deal out there. But I gave up on the TV side, Comcast comes out better overall despite the slight loss of picture quality. It is still a near thing, if Verizon fixes the DVR I would probably switch back. And if I had any use for their multi-room DVR feature that could sway me. However, Comcast seems to finally be getting close to supporting TIVO. If that ever actually ships it will probably push FIOS completely out of the running for me.

I have Comcast TV/Internet. My picture isn't that great. Picture freezes sound continues. The picture is pixelated at times. I rewired the house with RG-6 quad cable. Took all the splitters to work and characterized them, bandwidth, insertion loss. Did not help. Two different recievers. With the competition maybe they will get their act together.

I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast due to tree interference while trying to upgrade to the newer 5 LNB dish, have the 3 LNB dish, for the new birds. I have 3 HDTV's, a 50" Panny plasma, a 50" Samsung DLP and a 32" CRT. I also have a HD-DVD player, the Toshiba HD-XA1.

I was pleasently surprised by the Comcast picture quality for both SD and HD. I'll miss the NFL-ST but most of the time I was watching Ravens and Redskins game anyways.

For those that have HD broadcast from local stations -

If you have an HD Ready/capable TV, then you can add rabbit ears or an antenna in your attic to get free Local HD TV without paying for cable or Direct TV. Especially helpful if you do not get high quality local channels.

From_Arizona said:
For those that have HD broadcast from local stations -

If you have an HD Ready/capable TV, then you can add rabbit ears or an antenna in your attic to get free Local HD TV without paying for cable or Direct TV. Especially helpful if you do not get high quality local channels.

If you go to www.antennaweb.org you can get started by typing in your address and seeing what stations you should be able to receive and what direction their coming from.

TripleB4me said:
KurtV said:
I love HDTV but I'm waiting to pull the trigger on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD until the prices come down on the combo units or it becomes clear who will win the format war (I'd put my money on Blu-Ray at this point).

Don't say that too loud, I'm a HD-DVD guy all the way. :evil:
I think having only 1080i v. 1080p is what will kill HD-DVD. It shouldn't, but too many people have to have the "best" resolution. Even people like me, who know that there's no discernible difference in the formats (assuming you don't have a ginormous screen and/or don't sit too close to it), still have 1080p lust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.