getting bids for resurfacing fiberglass pool -what to expect

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Anyone had experience with resurfacing a fiberglass pool?
We have a 1950's-era in ground, rectangular (about 15 x 30 feet) pool. when we bought the house, the pool inspector said it would probably need resurfacing within the next few years b/c he could see some bubbling under the surface and some chips/areas where flakes about quarter size or smaller had flaked off.
Planning to start getting bids on the work. Since I didn't get any replies on my posts re: contractor rec's, I'm wondering if I can at least get a little bit of info on what to expect from bids and what sort of work might need to be done (and what sort of work most likely wouldn't *need* to be done but might be presented as a "need to be done" in a bid, KWIM?)
Thanks!

I can't speak for your area, but down here (San Diego) the fiberglass companies don't last more than a couple of years! Tough to get support when they are gone!

I personally would not fiberglass my pool, and I have seen many that are chalky, bubbling, have separation (very sharp edges!) and release fibers into the pool, creating itchy swimmers! The plaster companies also charge more to remove the fiberglass (it has to go to HazMat) once you decide to get it redone.

My question would by why you would want to use fiberglass? Is it just because it is in the pool now, or do you have structure damage under the existing fiberglass (that is why alot of pools get fiber-glassed)?

Bruce

simicrintz said:
My question would by why you would want to use fiberglass? Is it just because it is in the pool now, or do you have structure damage under the existing fiberglass (that is why alot of pools get fiber-glassed)?

The pool was here long before we bought the house (3 years ago) and fiberglass is what it is. I have no idea what the pool looks like under the existing fiberglass, only know that there are many places where it's bubbled and/or chipped off, and there's one small (~6-8") crack near the skimmer. I'm a novice pool owner with no idea what the different options are for addressing these issues so I'm hoping to learn a bit more before talking with contractors :)

duraleigh said:
simicrintz,

I think OP is saying they have a 100% Fibreglas pool......not another kind of pool that has been coated with fibreglas.

Oops :oops: I read it as an old pool (before I thought they made fibreglas pools) and thought it was concrete. Sorry 'bout that!

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.