Freeform in MA

Well I had a very interesting conversation yesterday. My construction manager told me excavation to finish is 12 weeks. Interesting because every other piece of paper I have from PB and contract (just has start/finish dates which are way off) says 8 weeks. Their little "tentative" schedule sheet notes they won't be there all the time, weather's a big deal, yada yada, but they have the ability to ramp up work on the back end to hit their schedule.

Needless to say.. I was less than thrilled. We are stuck at this point, must continue, but the scorched earth trail will exist after this process. It all became clear to me after that conversation. From the CM/PM point of view, I look nuts, I'm asking why they haven't started gunite listed as a week 2-3 task as we close on week 4. Seems rationale from a schedule I have that say 8 weeks, but they have an ADDITIONAL 4 weeks planned in their minds. 4 weeks that are not communicated until week 4, 4 weeks that are not the result of rain delay, they just budget 12 weeks for all builds. My perspective, slow and behind :hammer:, their perspective ahead of schedule :D.

End of my conversation was that they'd be coming today to plumb the spa, thursday to gunite, saturday to strip and backfill. All on a holiday week. Not sure if that was the plan until I called them out on lying to us, but I'm glad we're getting somewhere. Next uphill battle is they have decking schedule to start 8/3, finish 8/13. Uh, what? You're going to leave precisely 1 month to plumb the pool, tile, and coping? Guess it's back to squeaking!!

images

You will really need to push. We had a 10-12 week contract. We had start up about week 14 but we are still not through all contracted items and we are in umm I’ve lost count I think going on week 22. In all fairness they are little jobs left to do and we have been able to swim for a while.

It's not great to hear it's a worldwide issue, but it's nice to know we're not the only ones in this boat. Our dig date was pushed from 5/1 to 6/7 due to weather backing them up, which was frustrating more because as we neared then end we were finally told we would have no more than 24 hours notice that they'd be coming to dig. Here we are thinking we'll know a week in advance, we'll be able to let our job(s) know we'll be in late that day, we'll be able to organize our finances to pay multiple thousands of dollars, etc.

We were led to believe we were holding them up from digging at one point, when I scrambled to find anyone who could cut some trees down with two weeks notice, winter storms locked most companies up for months. Just the attitude they must have that equates to something along the lines of, "Well this guy's a totally idiot, so we should be able to string their job out 16 weeks so we can finish the annoying guy, but then we'll need to apologize to the nice clueless guy who's been building since last season, and deal with the irate moron who thinks this is an 8 week job" Everyone's an idiot and lies are acceptable because at the end of the day you get a pool.

Instead they should just be honest, you may lose work because people think they can get it done faster, but guess what? IF it truly does take that long and every company is giving the same quote, you win based on quality of work, professionalism, respect, reputation, etc. Instead, now I will do everything in my power to spread the word to make sure they don't ruin another family's experience.

Instead they should just be honest, you may lose work because people think they can get it done faster, but guess what? IF it truly does take that long and every company is giving the same quote, you win based on quality of work, professionalism, respect, reputation, etc. Instead, now I will do everything in my power to spread the word to make sure they don't ruin another family's experience.

I am exactly where you are regarding this. We had a contractual completion date of 6/1/2018 (I now feel it is important to list the year as I'm not sure it will even get done in 2018) and we've gotten nothing but the run-around and what I am sure are bold lies. I just got off the phone this morning with my PB telling me that we are not scheduled for plaster until 7/23!!! Our dig was done on 2/12. I am well beyond frustration and now just down right angry. In fact, I was actually thinking that they were abandoning my project it had been that long since I even heard from them. It seems that I always have to call, email or text them instead of the other way around. Total horse hockey!!!

Ugh, if there is ever another pool build in our future at another house, I'm totally doing it myself.

I really hope you have better luck going forward.

I was told 6-8 weeks by several builders but I did not get any contractual or "guaranteed" date. Admittedly I don't read every thread or pay complete attention, but I have yet to see a build thread here this year that sticks to an 8 week timeline.

I was told 6-8 weeks by several builders but I did not get any contractual or "guaranteed" date. Admittedly I don't read every thread or pay complete attention, but I have yet to see a build thread here this year that sticks to an 8 week timeline.

Totally get that it's not a guarantee, my issue is more the sales guy and all their support documents state 6-8 weeks. Sales and Project manager on dig day said, "8 Weeks from now you'll be finishing up.." with added talk about weather etc. Construction manager yesterday was like voice of honest reality, "The time frame from excavation to finish is about 12 weeks..."

It's not like we're approaching week 8 and they are tacking on 4 weeks, they just don't even have the story straight and I'm pretty sure the CM oops'd the real story. It probably always was/is 12 weeks to deal with scheduling conflicts, weather, snowballing, etc. Honestly, it's not the timeline, it's the poor communication and then blatant lies.

It's the age old, under-promise over-deliver. You do that, we're golden and you get rave reviews, you do the opposite, you catch a bad reputation and in this day and age? It spreads like wildfire.

I totally hear you guys on the rampant missed dates by nearly all of the PBs out there this year. As you may have read we decided to part ways with our original PB about 6 weeks ago and move to another. We were fed up with all the BS excuses without any course correction or action planning. The re-permitting and design tweaking went smoothly with the new PB but here we are with no hole and a promised/contracted excavation date of 6/29/18 which has come and gone. We're hoping to get in the ground somewhat soon but we've pretty much written off any swimming this year. :( Our project manager (not sales guy) seems much more down to earth and realistic and said most of the builds have been 10-12 weeks vs. 6-8 the sales guy is constantly promising.

I totally hear you guys on the rampant missed dates by nearly all of the PBs out there this year. As you may have read we decided to part ways with our original PB about 6 weeks ago and move to another. We were fed up with all the BS excuses without any course correction or action planning. The re-permitting and design tweaking went smoothly with the new PB but here we are with no hole and a promised/contracted excavation date of 6/29/18 which has come and gone. We're hoping to get in the ground somewhat soon but we've pretty much written off any swimming this year. :( Our project manager (not sales guy) seems much more down to earth and realistic and said most of the builds have been 10-12 weeks vs. 6-8 the sales guy is constantly promising.

We were so close to pulling the plug on this PB but figured it would be the same with any other, also since we had taken on some of the job ourself, clearing our existing patio, cutting trees, etc we'd be out of a usable yard in any capacity for an entire year. So we're going to push through, but it is definitely beyond frustrating.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, in more important news.. WE HAVE GUNITE!!! :kim:

82ibxHn.jpg

i1qTF1I.jpg

m8wNPB6.jpg

uY3IerT.jpg

O73pA0b.jpg

bs6k9l0.jpg

Somehow our PB kept shrinking our gunite deposit, not sure why, but we'll take it.. I'm wondering if we're getting a discount for the timeline. Either way.. PROGRESS!!

OH YEAH!!!! Have you started bonding with it? aka watering it? It will help it cure slower. There might still be some small cracks but that is normal.

You know what happens now! You get your own set of links!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Pool Math

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Now is also the time to get your test kit. Ask you PB what one he provides and let us know so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim: (shrinking deposits?? OH yeah!)

They told us not to water first day, and tomorrow we're getting rain all day, so we'll begin watering Saturday.

Only question I have at this point are about the two 3-4" diameter, 2-3" deep circular recesses in our shell wall. No plumbing behind them, no lights, they almost look like footholds? Any ideas?

In the wall? I don't see them in the pics. hummmmmmmmmm I have not heard of that before. Get your plans out and look to make sure all of your lights and returns are accounted for.

Kim:kim:

Yea all accounted for.. if you look at my 2nd and 3rd pictures you'll see. 2nd - Directly to the right of the spa a black dot. 3rd - centered between two plumbing lines to the right of the skimmer. They are almost directly across from one another in the pool and look to be intentionally formed. Not like a collapse or cave in..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.