Freeform in MA

Now comes YOUR job! Go out there with your plans and tape measure in hand. Add about 6" for gunite and plaster. it is wide, deep, long, etc enough? NOW is the time to change, fix, tweak as needed/wanted.

Kim:kim:

Hmm.. interesting, hadn't thought of that really. We're so swamped in extras that have been sneaking up on this job that we haven't thought of adjustments to keep things in check budget wise.

Just the other day, we got a quote for another propane tank, except oh you know, our first tank is placed illegally. Great, so we now have the added cost of moving our first tank and the second, trenching, plumbing, etc.

Not a single thing has gone smoothly on this project..

You bring up a great point though, we're not changing after gunite obviously. With regards to 6", is this center on the steel or from the steel inwards on the pool? ie Steel to steel measurement minus 12" or minus 6" for interior distance

Steel to steel and 12" if you are doing side to side.

Now with the deep enough part...............Water depth! You will measure to the MIDDLE of the skimmer for the water depth. That is going to harder to do but will make all of the difference in your WATER depth.

See we had one build that found TFP after the gunite was put in. The PB's people got it "backwards"...........the PO wanted 3'5" by the shelf and 4'5" on the other end............well the diggers dug it wrong and the steel people followed in their tracks :( They had to add some steps in that took up some of the pool area.

OUCH on the tank moving!!! ANY way you can "go after" the people who put in the first tank to recoup some of the money?

Probably not, itll be finger pointing on electrician, builder, fuel provider, etc. All just a headache.

Unless, fuel companies are not supposed to deliver to an obvious code violation. Then in that case maybe I have leverage?

I have a sad for you wallet :(

I'm with ya, there goes the bling tile upgrade!

I'm -ok- with the added costs that come from things like ledge. I mean who knew that was there, nobody could predict that. The added costs from poor planning or someone taking short cuts 10 years ago (2nd owners on the house) really rub me the wrong way. Ugh, oh well.. at least we're moving along nicely!!

Tile... Pick away!
ARY6ZP1.jpg

Bottom left is my first pick!

Second pick is middle bottom

Third pick is the top rights (they look very close in the pics)

I am VERY surprised in myself but I really don't like the bottom right.....My eyes went right to that pretty dark blue color but I don't care for the "finger prints" on it.

Sounds like we are on the same page!

With any of these you will want to pick through the crate. Look for the REALLY pretty ones to put in eye catching places like on the far side where your eyes will fall as you walk out the door. Also remove any of the UGLY ones and hide them so they cannot be used. LOL

I'll try to direct them to that effect, but suspect we'll be working hard while they work hard.

On a side note, I measured all the depths today and they are spot on when subtracting 6", don't have exact widths as things are radii per our CAD, but if depths are nailed, I'm sure widths/lengths are correct.

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom left is my first pick!

Second pick is middle bottom

Third pick is the top rights (they look very close in the pics)

I am VERY surprised in myself but I really don't like the bottom right.....My eyes went right to that pretty dark blue color but I don't care for the "finger prints" on it.

Thought I should note, top rights are very close, they are Lapis blue and Ice Blue from classic pool tile. Main difference is Ice Blue is a polished finish while Lapis is more natural stone look/matte.

I think we're zeroing in on your #1 choice as well, New Rainforest Rain. it has nice movement, good color blend, and isn't so high contrast that it will be standing out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know you asked the question about LED vs. incandescent awhile back. That is the sort of thing I do too—things like buy an incandescent and drop in an LED bulb. Sometimes I win, sometime I lose. However, much of the time I wind up thinking I should’ve just bit the bullet to begin with and been done with it. I would strongly suggest you add another light and use LED. I know these things are pricey as I personally paid $1200 to add a second LED light to my pool. I cut corners everywhere I could but I knew from the beginning that I was going to pay for the lights from the getgo.

I’ve read that these LED fixtures are unreliable too but they do have warranties. The Jandy lights in my pool are warranted for 3 years.

We have committed to waterline tile and pebblesheen finishes. *drumroll*

re-346-600x600.jpg
07-15_PS_Aqua_Blue_72dpi.jpg

Classic Pool and Tile Reflections Crystal Blue - CT RE 346 and Pebblesheen Aqua Blue, they were going to get a jump start on some spa plumbing today..

V3ALqrH.png

Got some serious, and well needed, rain rolling in. Should all clear out for a nice heat wave starting tomorrow.. which is great news because Gunite was slated for tomorrow morning!! :party:

Last edited:
OH those tiles will be fun to pick through!!! Find the ones you REALLY like to put where your eyes fall when you walk out to the pool. Then pick out the ones that are so ugly you don't want them any where near the pool and hide them or have them cut up and used in the skimmer throat where they will not be seen LOL Crystal Blue is the purrfect name for those tiles!

Love the plaster color!!!

Thanks, we want a light blue color that is really crisp and far from green. We started with white diamonds, but found many people suggesting white shows more dirt, can stain easier or show stains more easily, and the debate over dark vs light plaster retaining water temp all helped us narrow down between Blue Surf and Aqua Blue. Pictures didn't show us a huge difference in water color, but the texture color itself seemed more inline with the "light" appearance we want.

My son's birthday is Saturday, and we'll have plenty of people over to admire the gunite shell if it gets sprayed in tomorrow as planned.

Also I did read a few places that most companies have no issue spraying gunite the day after a rain, it may mean pumping and then spraying, but typically not an issue as the soil conditions will be well suited to the week long curing process. Any thoughts?

Rain will not be an issue so long as the walls stay up and in place. You are good to go!

Annnnd just like that... they are not coming tomorrow for plumbing or gunite... doing that next week. Been two weeks since they've been here.. :crazy: The electrician was here last friday, I get they couldn't gunite before inspection on his work, but we offered to have someone available for him to do his job earlier if WE were holding up the entire job. They declined, but now we're ~1-2 weeks behind.

Ugh, we have such terrible luck with all service providers in our area, nobody does what they said they will, holds a schedule, etc. I think we've finally, after 7 years, found a landscaper that is reliable, it's ridiculous and frustrating!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.