Big dimple

Cherie

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
Wylie, Texas
OK, I put my weight belt on so I would stay on the bottom long enough to see if the food coloring got sucked into the dimple anywhere and it didn't. The food coloring just hovered there for a very short instant, then dissipated on out into the water. I was very, very still. I did this three times (which was a great workout for my lungs!) and I just couldn't see where it might be getting sucked down into the dimple.

So we're confused as to how we could have a perfectly round dimple, about the size of a third of a softball pushed down into the floor, but no apparent leak there. And as I ran my foot along the bottom out from the dimple, I feel a sunken "trench", albeit small. This is an area that is supposed to have solid Happy Bottom. I watched them install it, so I know it's there! Does this sound like a pinhole, ground cracks (our yard is really bad right now) or possibly ant damage?

Any suggestions/help? Thanks.

How far away from the edge is it located? Is it anywhere in the vicinity of the cantilever support system that extends under the pool? If so, you might have some sand/dirt settling where the supports were dug in, depending on how well things were filled/tamped. The happy bottom will conform to the underlying grade. I've got a divot just like you described, with a happy bottom too. Mine is from the PB's insufficient filling/tamping over those pans that extend partway under the pool. Figure I'll fix it when my liner needs replacing. The divot has been stabile since appearing soon after the initial fill.

It's on the 3' ledge that goes around the deep end. It's about 18" out from the wall, but I don't recall if it's lined up with the buttress, which was cemented in. They cemented four buttresses on each of the long sides of the pool. But I could easily believe it's settling or ground shifting from being so dry. Our ground gets cracks big enough for the furkid's leg to fall completely into. In fact, last year, I accidentally overwatered our tree and when I ran out to turn off the water and see how much standing water I had, I found three tiny baby mice - didn't have eyes open yet. They'd apparently been down in one of the cracks that filled up.

I haven't watered our back yard at all this summer - haven't had time, with building the deck and all. So the cracks and ants are just horrendous right now.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and make sure it's not getting bigger. I may go ahead and put a patch in the middle of the dimple, then another on top of that one, just to be on the safe side. Our water is still at 92 right now and a swim this evening sounds nice!

And replacing our liner is not an option. We buried our pool 3'. So we hope to not have to replace it anytime in the next 10-15 years!

(Our buttresses were cemented in too.) Sounds like settling of the sand - as it drains down into whatever void is below it leaves a bowl, just like sand sifting through an hour glass. Ours stabilized quickly when the 'void' below filled. I've tried working the surrounding sand with my heel to shallow it out, but with little success. I'm not too worried about it.

Kelly

Well Kelly, your explanation makes perfect sense! I'll stop worrying so much...and try to water around and under the deck a lot, now that the deck is finally finished! :whoot:

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I've recently met a very nice lady who sold us our winter cover and she has now signed on as BBB'er (still needs a little help though). I was just telling her that if you have a problem with your pool, there will be SOMEONE on this site who can help! :goodjob:

What a great site. It's time to go donate again.... :p

Cherie said:
Well Kelly, your explanation makes perfect sense! I'll stop worrying so much...and try to water around and under the deck a lot, now that the deck is finally finished! :whoot:

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I've recently met a very nice lady who sold us our winter cover and she has now signed on as BBB'er (still needs a little help though). I was just telling her that if you have a problem with your pool, there will be SOMEONE on this site who can help! :goodjob:

What a great site. It's time to go donate again.... :p

Cherie...I got them too...three of them about 18 inches from the side of the pool...Mine came from the huge rains we had last August and September. That part of my yard had not been leveled off yet, and water got under the pool and caused the sand to sink into the ground...The divits then appeared...my PB has about 25 years of experience and I called him and he said that it was happening to a lot of new installs last summer due to the torrential rains we had late in the summer.

Beave

Well, after a few weeks of constant rain around here, we certainly don't have those cracks big enough to swallow our furkid's legs anymore! So I'm hoping that, now that the cracks are filled in and the decking is covering a large portion of the yard out around the pool, that part of the ground will remain closed up, especially if I can get the landscaping around the deck this fall and get a sprinkling system set up to keep the ground dampened under the deck and around it. I tried also to level the dimple out, but with no success. So I'll just have to order the guests "No poking your toe into the big dimple!" Six more months (and a few days) before swim time again! :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.