Another Baquacil conversion

luvsthepool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 2, 2009
Alabama
Hey,
Just want to say a big thank you for all the information on this site as well as the conversion threads. Like a few others, found the site a little late in the game, my fault for insufficient research to begin with. But....we are almost there...I think. I've documented with pic's and pool store water tests, but will not be comfortable that it's... stick a fork in it 'done' until I can preform the overnight FC test. Ordered TF100 tonight.

New AG 24' round installed Sept 2008, pool store sold me on Baquacil, again, insufficient research. Anyway, pool crystal clear until 8/27/09, cloudy, milky white. Spend many $ in Baqua products to no avail, started conversion to chlorine based on recommendation from pool store (different than the first one who sold me on baqua) on 8/31/09. After many nasty colors and goo (thanks to other pic's on this site or I would have lost hope !) and today....finally....water is crystal clear, actually better than before! After the 4th day, water was a translucent jolly rancher green, took out steps and sandbag weights, treated for mustard algae as recommended by pool store (should probably have just read here sooner and could have used bleach !).

9/4/09 test
TC 15
FC 15
PH 7.0
TA 90
CYA 30
removed and cleaned filter

Removed steps, sandbags and added algacide, no change in appearance, back to pool store 9/5/09
TC 15
FC 15
PH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 30
After steps removed noticed tan colored residue under steps reported to pool store, they recommended mustard algae treatment. (a different product, no charge). Added to pool, with bleach, then brushed all around.

24 hrs later, much lighter green color and evidence of residue in middle of pool, vacuumed and cleaned filter, then pump on low overnight. This morning, presto, pool appears to be back to normal !! However, the aqua chem test kit shows 1.5 FC and PH at 7.2, that's all it tests for, so I added 84 oz of bleach and will test again before bed. Suggestions?

Pic's
8/31/09
August31baquacrap.jpg

August31justaddedchlorine.jpg

Day 2
Sept1a.jpg

Day 3
Sept2pm.jpg

Day 4
Sept3pm2.jpg

Day 6
Sept51155am2.jpg

Day 7
sept6am.jpg

Day 8
Sept7poolisback.jpg

Unfortunately it's possible you changed the filter and added CYA "too soon"...which can slow things down/interfere. We'll know more when your TF100 comes and you can test the water.

We advise not to change the filter or add CYA until the FC is holding overnight. Once it does then it's okay to change the filter. Adding CYA too soon can slow the process down. Once we see your FC and CC levels and you do an overnight test we'll know more....Maybe you'll get lucky and the CYA won't be an issue. I'm a bit worried about the filter though. If all the Baq wasn't oxidized before you changed it the new cart could be contaminated and need replacing already....time will tell.

I don't see where luvs actually added any CYA or actually replaced the cartridge... Maybe I misread.

I suspect bad pool store testing (and all the goop in your water) for the CYA of 30...

Keep your FC at 15 until:

1) lose < 1ppm FC overnight
2) CCs are <0.5ppm
3) your water sparkles.

THEN change your cart. and add your CYA as needed (by this time you will have your TF100) and let your FC drift down to normal for your CYA level.

That was some nasty looking water when you started, but it is looking pretty good... you will be amazed how much BETTER it will look than when you thought it was clear with Baqua!

Thanks for the feedback,
Have not replaced cartridge with a new one, we have two and have been taking out and spraying down and alternating them. I understand a new one will be required once everything becomes stable. We did add stabilizer, pool store recommended after conversion started and TC/FC stayed at 15 for several days, just dropped in the last two days. But again, don't have the test kit yet so, using best guess, with pool store measurements and our aqua chem tester.

When the water remained transparent jolly rancher green, followed pool store recommendations 12 oz Pool Season algae control 60, active ingredient starts with poly...when that didn't work, removed steps and noticed sandy like residue, so pool store said it was mustard algae and added 1 lb of Yellow Klear, active ingredient, sodium bromide. That seemed to do the trick, green disappeared. But now I suspect we have something still in the water because the chlorine went from 15 to 1.5, was up to 3.0 after adding bleach last night, then back to zero this morning!

Hubby took sample to pool store this morning and added 2 lbs of shock and chlorine tab to skimmer. Recommended adding another 2 oz of the algae control 60 (which didn't work in the first place???). I tested with aqua chem tester just now and FC appears to be just 1.5.

I know we are not doing this right, back and forth with what I'm learning on this site and then using chemicals recommended by pool store, but since I'm waiting on the kit, just feel like I have to do something to keep it from getting out of hand until it arrives.

This morning's pool store test results:
TC/FC 0
pH 7.6
TA 120
Calcium Hardness 250
Stabilizer 30

Right now FC appears to be 1.5 and pH 7.6

So if you guys are not totally frustrated with me, what do you think about adding the algaecide? I do have bleach on hand, should I just use the amount needed to raise FC to 15 (about (4) 96 oz jugs by my calculation?) or just wait a few days for the kit?

Thanks again for your help,
debbie....aka luvsthepool (still do!)

My bad, I don't know why I thought I read you "replaced" the filter :oops: :mrgreen:

As for the algaecide - you don't need it - both the PQ and the Yellow treat stuff can create a chlorine demand of their own.

Just keep using bleach/liquid chlorine and maintaining a FC of 15 until it holds overnight, then you can replace the filter. We recommend testing and adding bleach frequently to reach 15. I wouldn't add anymore pool store chems - NO TABS!- just focus on bleach and maintaining shock level.

There have been other conversions with that funky color so I don't think this is algae per se - perhaps some odd side effect as the threads with the funny colors have all been people who started converted with the advice of pool stores - so perhaps something they are adding is giving the odd tint, who knows.

Just bleach it! :wink:

Hi, Debbie,

Welcome to the forum. Consulting the forum and the pool store for the same issues always results in some conflict and confusion......leaving you in the middle.

It would be helpful to you to pick one resource and stay with it. You can read all the success stories of conversions on the forum and be confident what we teach will work. Likewise, it sounds like you have a good relationshjip with a pool store. Trying to pick and choose between the two sources of advice will seldom accomplish much.

Thanks again for the feedback :) Removed the chlorine tab, added bleach late afternoon, chlorine appears to be over 5 ppm but can't judge beyond that, just that it's a darker yellow than the 5 color. Didn't add any more of the algaecide. I did notice sandy like residue in the middle of the pool, vacuumed it, since we have a cartridge filter can't vacuum to waste, so will watch pressure and return flow to decide when we need to clean it again. Tester should arrive tomorrow and then we'll be in business. Plan to add another gallon of chlorine tonight, does this sound reasonable?

I have a cart too. Couple weeks ago, after 8 years of pool ownership I "discovered" how I can vacume to waste. Sorta left me going "duh"... :hammer:

Anyway we had recently had heavy rains....the water in the pool had risen to the top rail. I wanted to drain the water out. I took the vacume hose and left one end on the grass. I took the other end and held it up to the return to "prime" it. The water flows out the hose and exits the pool - the syphon action continued the flow. I kept the hose end under the water, and attached it to my (manual) vacume head, then attached the pole and lowered it to the pool floor. By keeping the hose primed the water kept flowing. I vacumed the pool that way, and the water level lowered about 3 inches and I was able to do the whole pool!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my lightbulb moment.... :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have a cart. filter,what I did was take the hose loose where it attaches back to the pool after going through the filter (the eyeball).It still goes through the filter but not back into the pool. I vacuumed on low speed.

Deb

Hey gang,
Thanks so much for the vacuum tips !!!

Wa Hoo !!! :cheers: Kit has arrived !!! working now will post results tonight. Quick question, I think I read Ph and TA are not so important at this point, just need to get FC to 15 and hold <1 reduction overnight, is that right?

Yep, you are so right :hammer: Ph was 7.6, a little high.... Added bleach to get up to 15 and currently readings:

FC 14
CC 1
Ph 7.6 (thought it would have increased with added FC???)
TA 130
Have not checked CYA, hopefully it's back to zero, it was according to pool store test yesterday.

Will add another 28 oz bleach tonight, it's raining, not sure if that will have any affect. Water already looks much better.
We'll see what the morning brings.
Thanks again for all the help and support !!
Debbie (aka...loving the pool more than last week for sure) !

Good Morning !

tested last night 11:30 pm:
FC 16
CC 1.5

6:30 am
FC 13.5 :cry:
CC 1.0

Will monitor today. Another question, we removed the steps and sand bag weights. Any suggestions for weights when we put steps back in? Thought about the vinyl covered bar bells ??

Hope everyone has a great Friday !
D

The clarity of your pool water confirms your test results (or is it the other way around? :lol: ).......you have little left to do.

Hold the FC up there another day or so and I'll bet you get to where.....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

That means you are done with the process.......you are not too far away! :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement, step weight and vacuum tips :cool:

6:30 pm
FC 7.5 (way down but working today, so nothing added all day)
CC 1.0

added 182 oz bleach

9:45 pm
FC 14.5
CC 1.0
Ph 7.6
TA 140 (little high, but I shouldn't do anything about this until I get the FC to hold at 15 with < 1 drop in ppm overnight and CC at .5 right?)
CYA 30 :? Decided to check it cause this kit is so neat and was surprised, expected CYA to be zero since last pool store test showed zero. But, we did add stablizer in the beginning, so could it just be lingering? Or maybe I'm not performing the test properly. Will try again before turning in for the night

added 14 oz bleach to top off at 15

10:30 pm
FC down to 12.5 :shock:
What?? CC at .5
Added 70 oz bleach and will test again before turning in.

In any event, the water looks wonderful. Before we started conversion, before the baquacil water became cloudy, I thought our water was crystal clear in the daylight, but at night with the light on in the pool, I could see all kinds of particles floating passed the light that we couldn't see in the daylight. Now, hardly any particles at all, just beautiful clear water! Makes my heart happy :-D

Our water still looks great, results seem to be on track, but the fact that we added stablizer a few days after conversion began and I've read that stablizer buffers chlorine concerns me. I tested for CYA using the kit and got a reading of 30. Took a sample to the pool store yesterday and they show the same thing. So, now I'm worried that a FC of 15 is not high enough :?

I'm getting the FC up to 14.5-15 at night and from 9/11 - 9/12 it held (actually went up a little, with CC =1). And last night, 9/12 - 9/13 held at 15 with CC = .5.

Is FC at 15 high enough if CYA really is at 30?

If so, should I hold to 15 again tonight with CC of .5 or less and then we should be good to go...replace filter but not add additional CYA? Then follow Pool School guidelines for maintenance levels and testing?

If not, what course of action should I take. Suggestions?

I really appreciate the support you all offer!
Thanks,
Debbie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.