Do you have to remove pool stairs?

Jun 5, 2009
Peculiar, MO
I am new to the pool world, I must ask a question. Do you have to remove the pool stair during the winter? My stair/ladder combination is easily dissassembled, so I am not sure if I need to remove the section in the water for winter. Any comments welcome.

All depends on whether you're planning on covering it for winter or not. If so, then you'll need to either remove them completely, or push the section that stays in the water over so it's floating in the pool. FWIW, I remove mine and leave them sitting on the deck. I was always kind of antsy leaving them floating in the pool over the winter.

So, even if you leave your pool open during the winter and continue to maintain it, you should still take the ladder out? Or let it float in the water?

This is the first year that I thought I would actually leave it open and maintain it, since it costs so much less, but I figured I would leave the ladder in. I did not realize that you should pull it out anyway. I am curious what the reasoning is. I figured that you pulled it out because of algae growth, but if you maintain chlorine levels all winter then that is not an issue. So what is the issue with leaving them in?

Thanks,
Aaron

If you are going to cover your pool for the winter, you'll probably have to pull the steps out because the cover will not fit with them in place. If you are leaving the pool open and maintaining, like I am going to do (in Florida, can swim in December at times), then leave the steps in place. No need to take them out if the pool is not covered.

I'm in PA and take them out. Too cold to swim. Brrrr :mrgreen:

We technically don't "close" for the winter, but it is too cold to swim. We are able to just run the pump a few hours a day, and when it freezes, and I learned last year that is not enough to make sure the algae does not set up camp in the steps/laddder. It was pretty nasty when we took the ladder out last year, even though the pool was crystal clear and the water was 60 degrees. Hopefully a change in approach this year means it will come out cleaner and require less effort to clean up. Our ladder has a bunch of nooks and crannies- lots of time with a small brush and bleach water to get that all under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.