Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool for first time since our conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool for first time since our conversion

This is the first time we will be closing down our pool since our conversion. I have read pool schools method for closing down an above ground pool.

It is my understanding that I will need to shock the pool and make sure the level holds over night? then continue with the closing procedure.

My question is can I use teh baquacil algacide? I still have several bottles left from our conversion? If so how much a whole bottle?

Also I am assuming I can add it after I shock the pool, like the next day and then let is circulate a while before I drain the pool down?
    21ft round, 54 inch deep DoughBoy Desert Spring Above ground
    3/4 HP Dough Boy pump, Sand Filter
    Knoxville, TN
    GO VOLS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool for first time since our conversion

What is the active ingredient?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

The active ingredient in the Baquacil Algicide is n-Alkyl 60% adn dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 49.8%

I hope that makes sense?
    We used it last year when we closed down but we were on the entire baquacil products...just need to know if this will work for closing down since we converted? if not then what do I need to buy?

and how much ?
    Knoxville, TN
    GO VOLS

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok so after some research I am pretty sure the baqua algaecide isn't a polyquat? Please let me know?
    I am sending my husband to the pool store tomorrow what strength do I need and is there a name brand I can give him that he can just ask for?

I am assuming he can just look at the label to verify that is is a polyquat? I hate going to the pool store b/c they always have some smart comment and item to sell us? Just need to get the correct stuff and get out of their quickly?
    Knoxville, TN
    GO VOLS

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know the name brands, but it should say "Poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene(dimethyliminio)ethylene dichloride] 60%" as the Active Ingredient.

If it says "Poly" and "60" in the name, that is most likely the correct product.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi, while I may not be chemgeek, I'm pretty sure that what you have is a linear quat

The good news is that it will still prevent algae growth The poly is better in a few ways, but the linear stuff you have will do the job - the economy SUCKS and why spend more $$ when you have something you can use? Have you converted from Baq yet? If not, I would use their algaecide while still using their chems

I don't mind using the stuff you have unless! you have a SWCG - if you have over ~ 1500 ppm salt in the pool, the linear quat will cause a 'sheet' of foam on the pool surface

Good luck with the closing and I hope to see you around over the winter, and if not over the winter - I expect to see pics of your pool next spring and hear how easy it was to open
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

we have converted to chlorine via the bbb method! our pool has been fab! So I CAN use the baquacil algaecide? since i have 3 bottles left from our conversion?

Does anyone else agree?
    what is the consequences pro/cons or using the baquacil instead of the polyquat? I don't wont to cheap out and cause any major problems over the winter or algae?
    Knoxville, TN
    GO VOLS