Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Having a hard time maintaining chlorine & stabilizer levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Having a hard time maintaining chlorine & stabilizer levels

Earlier in the year I was easily able to maintain appropriate chlorine levels by setting my SWG to about 25% and running my 2 speed pump on high about 40% of the time. Lately, and what seems to be all of a sudden, I've had to make some major adjustments and I'm still trying to find the right settings to maintain the proper chlorine levels. I've had the SWG at 75% running on high 60% of the time and yet I've still had algae problems. It seems the stabilizer is burning off quicker than normal too. Just about every time I test, it's well below 70 and I have to add more. I've just had to add 5lbs of stabilizer after adding the same about three weeks ago.

The difference between now and earlier in the year is that we're getting a lot more rain lately and the temperatures have been quite a bit higher. So I'm wondering if this is normal. Could there be a problem with my salt water cell? I hope not because it's brand new this year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Andrew - Virginia Beach, VA
    22,000 gallons; 16x32 rectangle; 3.5Ft-8Ft Depth; Pentair Whisper Flow 2 speed Pump 1.5/.5HP; Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter; Aqua Rite SWG. Polaris 180 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Having a hard time maintaining chlorine & stabilizer levels

CYA doesn't "burn off" but it can be diluted by rain, and especially if you have to drain water after a rain, you can be losing CYA that way. Has that been happening? And when you say the CYA was "well below 70" what was the actual reading?

When you have an algae outbreak, you are usually better off shocking with bleach rather than raising the SWG percentage or run time.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

How do I know how much bleach to put in?
    Andrew - Virginia Beach, VA
    22,000 gallons; 16x32 rectangle; 3.5Ft-8Ft Depth; Pentair Whisper Flow 2 speed Pump 1.5/.5HP; Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter; Aqua Rite SWG. Polaris 180 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Read Pool School - there is an article there called The Pool Calculator and it teaches you how to use the Pool Calc to determine how much bleach to add.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by achristie
    How do I know how much bleach to put in?
    Use Jason's Pool Calculator (Link in my sig) to determine shock level based on your current CYA level.

Follow the instructions in Pool School for How to Shock Your Pool.

When you do the Overnight FC Loss Test be sure to turn off your SWG.

About your CYA loss, you should check your jug/bucket and verify that it is 100% (or close) cyanuric acid. Some folks have made purchases where it was only 50% CYA.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!