Nature 2 and Bleach

waterbug

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Richmond, Va
As I continue to read and learn about testing, more questions crop up :shock:

I read this in Pool Solutions and it has me wondering.......

First, a warning! Follow these instructions only if you are using chlorine or bromine chemistry. If you are using a copper/silver system – whether ionizer, Nature2™, or something else, or a baquanide system, such as Baquacil™, SoftSwim™ or whatever, DON'T try this!

Now I still have the Nature 2 running, eventually it will be used up and then I can just run the cartridge dry so to speak. HOever, does this quote mean that I should not be switching to bleach from my Simplicity tabs because of the Nature 2. I have been slowing begining the switch - we now use baking soda and I have been testing water daily. Lowered my CYA with a partial drain and am thinking of using Bleach occasionally instead of all tabs........but this quote has me wondering??

Nature2 adds metals to the pool. Metals can cause stains if the chlorine or PH go up too high. I would take the Nature2 cartridge out right away. The Nature2 system can work just fine for quite a while, but for many people the metal levels eventually get high enough to cause problems. It is better to stop now while the levels are lower than they will be later.

The simplicity tabs have chlorine in them, so using bleach won't really be any different. The largest danger is the possibility of locally high PH when adding bleach causing local staining. Adding bleach slowly through the skimmer will minimize any problems, any stains will tend to be in the filter. There isn't any dramatic transition when switching from Nature2 to BBB the way there is with baquacil. You want to get your metals level tested. With a recent partial water replacement you might be be fine, but it is better to know. Other than that, keep your PH on the low side, 7.2 to 7.5, and try to avoid needing to shock the pool till you know if metal stains will be an issue.

The cartridge I think needs to be in place because it is plumbed in to the system. Eventually it is useless and needs to be replaced. I believe it lasts for about three months. At that point it will just be there and not be adding anything to the water I think.

The cartridge can be removed, and the empty canister left plumbed in. I suggest taking it all out and piping direct using a hose or pvc in its place.

I did the Bleach thing with my Nature2 when I did have it and I did not see any side effects at all. When we bought our pool it came with it, and the wife did the chems, after she struggled with clear water with occasional algae blooms from using the tabs, she wanted me to do it, so I did some research, found BBB and started right off. This year I ditched the Nature2, I have seen no difference, my water is just as clear this year as last.

Depending on your model the Nature 2 cart needs to be replaced every 4-6 months. Some of them can be run without the cart, some can't. You can just leave the 'dead' cart in place and ignore it if you want. As far as using bleach I have several customers that use Nature 2 and use liquid chlorine and there have been no ill effects. The only change I have them make from the Nature 2 instructions is to make sure their FC does not drop below 2 ppm (instead of the .5 ppm that Zodiac recommends that really does not provice enough residual sanitzer in the water).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.