Roots growing under the liner? (With pics now)

Jun 24, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Our pool came with our house and I always thought that this pool was just not installed correctly. The bottom of it is extremely wrinkly / folds / pits and valleys, etc. My question is, is it ok to see what looks like systems of roots making their way around the bottom? (Look like lightning bolts.) The bottom is definitely not as smooth as our friends pool. I already had to repair a small leak in the liner this past week. I'm thinking the answer to my question is NO and that the previous owners did not install the pool properly to combat root growth. What say you? Do you want pictures? Yes, there is a rather large tree about 10 feet away from the pool.

Think a liner replacement is in our future?

(Pictures are down a few posts.)

Thanks!

Re: Roots growing under the liner?

If the pool was installed by the previous home owner its possible that the site was not prepared correctly and it is possible that there is roots growing under your liner. If it was installed be a pool pro its unlikely but not impossible to have that happening.
If possible could you post a picture so our experts can have a peek at it and help you better with your problem. What kind of tree is growing near the pool ?

Sorry for not getting back to you. I'm in the process of getting pictures. It is a 40 foot tall maple tree. Situated about 10 feet from the side of the pool. Wife is buying batteries tonight, so I should have pic later. Thanks!

Your maples are somewhat different but a naturally occuring maple (lots of people down here call them "Swamp Maples) in the South will send roots 50 feet horizontally and quite shallow following moisture. I suspect your Northern Maples will act similarly.

Even if you cut out all the roots under your pool, I would not be surprised if it doesnt send other underground runners over to your pool to collect that moisture.

Well, here are some pictures. It needs some serious vacuuming, I know. :lol: Anyways, let me know what you think. The liner is so wrinkly and stained and just u-g-l-y. I think it needs a replacement just in general. We bought the house 2 years ago and I think they installed it 4 years before that.

(Just links, I don't want Hi-Res images clogging the site.)
http://i30.tinypic.com/8xt3so.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/359hlxz.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/2s10tvc.jpg

Picture of my awesome patch job. Looks like the liner cut open right on top of a root:
http://i29.tinypic.com/244wc4g.jpg

Wrinkles on the side:
http://i26.tinypic.com/30lz15e.jpg

Thanks for looking at these.

Bump.... I think I've made my decision to replace the liner next year. I had to endure 66 degree water yesterday to repair 2 more holes.

I read posts on this forum where people worry about just ONE fold or crease in their liner, whereas I have what appears to be hundreds! (Plus roots and worm tracks, too.) I'm just going to hope it makes it through winter and then I'll deal with it in the spring. :cry:

I wish you luck with it Hunter. I saw your pics and they look awful. How close is the pool to the tree? How do you plan to remedy the situation? Are you going to move the pool?

Keep us posted.

Maybe if you put down one of those protective bottoms or pads? Gorilla pad or "happy bottom" or something they are called.

I have a maple within 10 feet and no roots. I've heard if Maples aren't planted correctly their roots can do strange things. I see roots on the opposite side of the tree in my yard have come up very shallow but the roots on the pool side have not. Wierd.

Maybe they didn't remove all the vegatation under the sand when they installed the pool? When we installed our pool, We dug down a good 4 inches on one side and closer to 8 inches on the other side and there were still roots and vegetation that was there 10 + years after those trees had been taken down. And, my property is very wooded. It was a real pain getting the sod, then all the roots up. To me, that is what those wrinkles look like maybe that could have been the case but I am no expert. Just a thought I had.

Christine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, since you can't move the pool, maybe build up the sand about 3"-6" and use a Gorilla Pad or Happy Bottom and then place your liner. Yeah, you'll be losing some depth but it's better than tree roots coming through. If you do this, I'd pack it as much as possible with a tamper before laying the pad down. Do you have an overlap style liner? If you do, you shouldn't have any trouble, just don't get a decorative trim around the top cuz you won't be able to see it... but if it's JHook or beaded, you won't be able to build the floor up. :(

Looks like you don't have much of a choice though. I didn't know your yard was so small. If it weren't, moving the pool would've been your better option to get it away from that tree. Least that's what I would have done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.