using only half a solar blanket

Sep 6, 2009
hi

I was wondering if anyone is using only half a solar blanket, meaning covering only 50% of the pool.
this will allow me to leave it on all the time. this makes it easier to handle if I need to remove, water is breathable, won't heat the water too much during the day, reduce evaporation. if only a 5 degrees is what I'm looking for, will this work. does this make any sense and is this a good compromise? my plan is to cover the deep end which is half the pool.

thanks
Jack

You won't see as much benefit as with a full cover but I don't see that a half cover would do any harm. I'd recommend that the covered half not include the area right next to the skimmer; if you have any open water then the skimmer should get first crack at it. (My cover is about 90% and there's always crud in the open bit, which is nowhere near the skimmer.)

8mil will be easier to take on and off but will die sooner. But with only a half cover probably the weight difference isn't so big a deal? A lot of people cut their covers into sections to make them easier to handle; you just aren't putting the other half on.
--paulr

ok great.
thanks!

i just read in a few places that you shouldn't have the cover on long term and that if you have the cover on during the day, it would heat the water up too much.
i live in a place where 95-100 degrees afternoon summers are common and very cool at night. lots of evaporation. i'm also on a mountain side with a nice breeze.

i figure 50% coverage is a good compromise and will assist with slowing evaporation?

jacksonlui said:
seems like a choice between 8mils and 12mils.
shipping seems pretty high but leslie's is overpriced.
anyone with any good recommendations?
I'm in san diego
thanks
Jack

Jack

Our local Lowe's carries solar covers, so give them a look. I have the Leslie's cover on mine and the price is about 25% higher this year compared to last year for the same one :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.