Leak at bottom of filter

G

I've been noticing that I have been adding more water to the pool than normal. I have a pool cooler setup on one of the returns and figured it was just due to evaporation as the humidity has been fairly low the last few weeks. Today I noticed that my slab is wet where all of my pool equipment is. I was able to determine that the leak is coming from under the filter. I can see it dripping under there, but I can't determine if it's a plumbing connection or the shell that's leaking.

Is this common? I'm assuming that I will need to disassemble the filter and disconnect it from the multi valve to get under there to determine the source of the leak. Any ideas?

Sorry, I just realized that my post count has reset to zero and my sig, which listed all of my equipment, is gone.

I have a Pentair FNS 48 filter. A picture really wouldn't do any good right now as the source of the leak is obscured by the base of the filter. The more I think about it, the leak is almost surely at the plumbing underneath. If the shell were compromised, I would imagine I would have water shooting out due to the pressure inside the filter.

jtupper said:
I have a Pentair FNS 48 filter. A picture really wouldn't do any good right now as the source of the leak is obscured by the base of the filter. The more I think about it, the leak is almost surely at the plumbing underneath. If the shell were compromised, I would imagine I would have water shooting out due to the pressure inside the filter.

Can you see the plug at the base of the filter just below the inlet? It may be the o ring that seals that plug. Or it could be the inlet or outlet o ring(s) leaking and is running down to the base before it drips.

Thanks for the input guys. It's about time to pull it apart to clean the filters anyway so this will get me off my butt to go ahead and do it. Hopefully, everything will hold as-is until Friday when I have a chance to get to it.

I read your other post about the pump loosing prime and commented, i my case its that dare FNS48 filer, got the same model, leaked under the bottom since i bought this house in Aug '09 i figured yours was doing the same, looks like it was your mulitport valve BUT i dont trust my filter and i'll bed you had/have the same bottom leak i do/did THe dry Nevada air evaps the hidden leaking water untill the problem gets bad, then the wet concrete reveals it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.