Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate

Is there typically any borate level in plain tap water?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borate

No, there is not typically any borate in the water nor any cyanuric acid. It's possible that in some wells with certain runoff in fertilized area that one could find some cyanuric acid and in areas in the Central Valley in California there is Boron in the watershed. Check your local drinking water quality report for the presence of such substances, but generally you won't find cyanuric acid nor boron.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

4. Back To Top    #4

Also, because my city requires backwash of all DE filters how often can I expect to be adding more Borate to maintain the 50 ppm give the typical 1 month DE filter backwash and should I worry about Borate in the winter?

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know your pool volume nor how much water you use in backwashing, but I suspect it's less than 5% of the pool water volume each time. So that would reduce the borates by not more than 2.5 ppm so after a backwash this could be added, but it's not a big deal. I'd wait for at least 3 months and then test the borates level. You most likely will be able to go an entire season without having to adjust borates.

You don't need to worry about the borates over the winter, but if you have rain overflow that dilutes the water you may need to add more in spring upon opening.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

Love this board! Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Pretty much any comment regarding borate dilution and replacement would also apply to CYA.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page