Mustard Algae

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I think anyway. It looks browinsh in the water but what is on the cartridge filter is yellow slime. Question is how long should it take? I used a copper-based treatment this morning. I changed out the filter, brushed then mixed 2oz (my water volume is only a shade over an ounce needed) in 2.5 gal of water and poured about 3/4 of that mixture around the edge of the pool. The brushing stirred up what was on the bottom of the pool but it looks like it is either settling back down or reblooming. How fast does this stuff grow?

Are you sure it is mustard algae? Some kinds of pollen often look very much like mustard algae. Mustard algae will normally grow on the walls of the pool, particuarly on the most shaded side of the pool. Pollen generally collects on the bottom. Algae will also cause your chlorine levels to fall fairly quickly, while pollen will only use a little more chlorine than usual.

Copper is not the best thing to put in your water. You can't get rid of it easily and eventually you get enough to start causing stains.

Well now that you ask that question, no I am not sure. The sides of the pool are clean. This is only on the bottom of the pool. In the water it looks feathery and brownish. Definitely not gritty. Mostly in the center but that could be due to the water circulation. I do know the pump/filter can't keep up even running 24x7. Assuming this is pollen, how to tell and also how to get rid of it? Vacuuming only gets about 70% - stirs up the rest and I have to change the filter several times when vacuuming. Also not vacuuming to waste if that makes a difference.

One more thing to add - whatever this stuff is I saw it on top of the pool cover when I pulled the cover off this morning. The cover sits about 1" into the water. It was on for the last two days. So either algae is growing on top of the cover or it is indeed pollen. And then the question, will I ever get it all out or just keep vacuuming every few days to sorta/kinda keep it under control? If I can get rid of it and keep the chlorine up will that help?

Using a skimmer sock should help filter a lot of it out if you've got good circulation (at least it will filter out that which is on the surface). If it's just pollen, you can certainly live with it, but it will increase your chlorine consumption as chlorine will try and break it down (and because it's small volume compared to its surface area, chlorine attacks it faster).

chem geek said:
Using a skimmer sock should help filter a lot of it out if you've got good circulation (at least it will filter out that which is on the surface)

Hmm... Circulation is good. I can watch my daughter's floatie circle the pool in just a few minutes. M skimmer doesn't have a sock it is just a leaf basket. I know the sock that comes inline with the vac is not fine enough to catch this stuff. I can see it going into the pump. Assuming for the moment it is pollen and I were to vac to waste and get it out, if I then refill and shock will the chlorine start to keep up with the pollen thatthen gets into the pool? I will vac to waste if it will fix things, otherwise I will just live with vacuuming every few days.

If trees or plants are dropping or blowing pollen into your pool, I doubt very much that chlorine will be able to keep up with it. Your chlorine usage will go up, but it won't break down the pollen fast enough. It's simply overwhelmed. Of course, this completely depends on how much pollen is getting into the pool. A pool cover would help, of course, especially if it went near the edge and was removed carefully.

Chem Geek, that is what I figured. I don't mind the vacuuming if it is pollen and that is the only cure. Just wish I knew. I can tell you that whatever this stuff is it was on top of the pool cover this morning. I had the cover on the last few days and the middle sits about 1" into the water. I will let the algaecide work overnight and see if there is any change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.