What kind of Salt, and how much will I need?

JRS7

Aug 10, 2009
My SWG should be here this week sometime, but today I'm going to be close to a Home Depot and Lowes...and while I'm close I would like to pick up the salt I'll need to get started. Any ideas what I need and how much?

My pool is an AG 20' Round by 48" deep......

Don't have the aforementioned stores in my town, so by the time I get the SWG with the instructions, I won't be able to buy the salt.

found this on another thread.

JasonLion said:
The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Unfortunately, you'll need to know what the recommended salt level is for your SWCG before you can figure out how much salt you'll need. Which SWCG are you getting? You may be able to find the recommended level online. Once you know the recommended level, you can use Jason's pool calculator to figure out how much you'll need.

MikeInTN said:
Unfortunately, you'll need to know what the recommended salt level is for your SWCG before you can figure out how much salt you'll need. Which SWCG are you getting? You may be able to find the recommended level online. Once you know the recommended level, you can use Jason's pool calculator to figure out how much you'll need.

It's the one WalMart sells, the Intex SWG.

You will need to know the size of your pool (gallons) along with the recommended salt level for your SWG to use Jason's Pool Calculator.

As a reminder, please TEST your pool water for salt level BEFORE you add salt.

Well, you're in luck - that's the same one I have. 20 foot round, say a water level of 44 inches or so will give you a water volume of around 8600 gallons. Ideal salt level for the intex is 3000 ppm, so I get 215lb of salt needed. Of course, this is assuming fresh water with no existing salt.

If you're starting from scratch, I'd get 6 bags (they come in 40 pound bags) and add 5 of them. Let it dissolve, and check your salt level. It's always easy to add more salt if needed, but the only way to lower your salt level is to replace water.

zea3 said:
found this on another thread.

JasonLion said:
The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

I just stumbled across this. Almost a 50% savings using this salt as opposed to that sold as pool sale locally.

Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.